Off-site backup of FreeNAS to Tivoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

guygma

Cadet
I am in a research group at MIT considering a Certified FreeNAS system for storing the data we take regularly. This would replace the aging Windows 2008 server currently in use. For redundancy, we also backup the NAS storage to an offsite location which apparently uses the IBM Tivoli.

I was hoping for some guidance on the compatibility of this workflow with FreeNAS. Has anyone had a successful experience backing up several FreeNAS shares to an offsite Tivoli?

Stux

MVP
I did a little bit of digging, found this:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24034630

Which implies no FreeBSD client, but there is a Linux client, and you should be able to setup a Linux VM on the FreeNAS. Then you could share via NFS to the VM, and from there, the VM could run your backups...

Then it becomes a matter of researching how to backup a linux box with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager ;)

Or whatever you want.

guygma

Cadet
Got it, thanks! Its unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be a more native solution, but it sounds like that would do the trick. I would have thought that Tivoli could talk with rsync or the like. I may try and looking into that a bit more but it is good to have a viable option.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'd be surprised if it didn't work with rsync. If it does, FreeNAS will easily handle that.

Status
Not open for further replies.