WAN Optimization

Status
Not open for further replies.

eltezay

Cadet
Hi all,
I have been reading for a while to make sure that I am not asking something that has already been discussed. I have not found anything as of yet.

I am using Datto as a backup solution and want to use FreeNAS with offsite replication in conjunction or any alternative. I am mainly interested in FreeNAS integration with almost everything. My main issue is the wan circuit is not in good health. It has latency that is up to and above 500ms on the average, and I am looking for something to offload backup / replication data over wan connection. All attempts to change wan connection have been futile, so I have opted into looking for a device or service that does something like wan optimization. We do not have the budget for expensive solutions like Riverbed Technologies.

Questions:

1. Is there anything that is more cost effective than Riverbed type technologies that support wan acceleration to offload the backup and/or RSYNC data?
  2. Is there any way to use Datto in conjunction with FreeNAS?
  3. What backup solution might work better with FreeNAS?
  4. What NAS solution would work with Datto out of the box?
Thanks in advance for any and all comments!

tvsjr

Guru
Remember... you can polish a turd but, in the end, it's still a turd. By comparison - you can put all the "WAN Optimization" you want in place... if you have an unhealthy circuit averaging 500ms latency, things will suck.

crosscutrat

Cadet
Have you looked at Replify? It de-duplicates and compresses NFS, CIFS, and iSCSI very well. I've used it as a Virtual Appliance next to FreeNAS without any issue (with those protocols). They recently released a Docker Image which may be interesting to test out now that FreeNAS 11 supposedly has Docker support built in. I would be interested to hear if anyone has tested this. It would be nice to roll out as a feature on FreeNAS. I don't believe Datto has anything like Docker support yet so this approach would be tough with Datto.

Status
Not open for further replies.