Odd NIC Issue

mcscooby41

Cadet
Hi,

I've recently purchase a dual 1GB Intel I340 NIC and installed it into my TrueNAS Scale device, I plugged both ports and the onboard NIC from the motherboard into the same switch.

I added the two new NIC's to the same bridge group as the onboard NIC and all 3 showed as 1GB links and as up, I could then unplug a NIC at random and see the traffic move between ports. Overnight the two ports on the Intel NIC are now showing as no link & only 100MB speed on the switch. Rebooting the server, unplugging the cables and swapping with a known good one on a known good port on the switch fails to bring either port back online.

Any ideas on what I might be missing here? Is there a way to force the link up in TrueNAS Scale?

I'm running:-

TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.3

Cheers

mcscooby41

Cadet
If I run a "lspci" command at the shell I can only see the onboard NIC listed is this right or should I see the add in card? If so that could well be my issue and I've got a faulty card.

mcscooby41

Cadet
I've been able to do some more troubleshooting, removing the NIC and on closer inspection the backplate has a bend in it. When fully screwed in it appears to be pulling the end of the card out of the PCI slot enough for it not to work correctly. Leaving the screw out and making sure the card is fully seated it now shows up when doing a "lspci" and is showing as taking park in the bridge again.

I'll monitor overnight again and hopefully that's sorted it.