NUC 12 as mini always on temporary TrueNAS

Delgon

Dabbler
Hey all! :)

Intro - You can skip XD TL;DR My current NAS and I do not like power consumption even if I moved from 140W to 80W Idle.
I'm currently in the stage of lowering the power consumption of my setup as much as possible. My current NAS was at around 140W at +- idle, and I was able to move it to around 80W after parking drivers after 1h of inactivity and doing some BIOS magic to lower or disable things.
The current main TrueNAS Scale which I use a lot for my dockers, and even 2 VMs I have is:
CPU: 3900
RAM: 4x16GB ECC 3200
HBA + HDD pool: - This is main Backup stuff and some small occasional multimedia.
8x8TB WD Red in RaidZ2 + 2x400GB Optane configured as 32GB SLOG per drive and the rest as L2ARC
SSD pool: - Used for all Dockers and for tftp shares for my PXE boots of other servers if I need it.
2x1TB Sata SSD with dedup enabled.
LAN: 10Gb

Even after moving things up, and lowering it to 80W constant, it is kinda bad running it 24/7 as prices are now insane in EU, and I try to disable and lower things a lot even if it means some more spending on hardware or smart plugs I did.

Proposed Hardware for "Mini NAS":
NUC 12 - 1260P
RAM: 64 GB RAM (maybe I could survive on 32GB but I run a lot of dockers and things)
BOOT: Single 128GB on m.2 SATA
SSD "pool": 1x4TB NVMe
(In theory another 2.5" SATA could be added there too, not sure what I would use it for tho)

I hope for this NAS to idle at around 10W (maybe less) but still have enough power in case I really need it.

My usage of the "Mini NAS" - Even tho I want to keep a lot of things there, kinda like a hypervisor, I kinda took a liking to TrueNAS and am not sure if I want to switch to Proxmox or similar even if it supports ZFS in theory.
1. Keeping TFTP server and shares available for other systems - Low usage but would rather have it 24/7
2. My applications in Dockers - I keep all my wallets in separate Dockers for isolation and availability for me. Keeps other things less problematic - Low CPU usage, Medium RAM usage (my current all services in the main NAS used ~20 GB)
3. Possibly some Dockers like Jellyfin for "recent/current" things I want - This CPU should be able to handle a few users for that kind of thing.
4. Deluge Docker
5. Home assistant
6. PiHole

I know that keeping 1 boot drive, and 1 drive as a "pool" is not optimal, but I do not really mind losing those things, that's why I have my main NAS :)

Questions:
1. I read some, but I'm not sure tho. Am I able to do something like a "Full" backup of this system, boot pool, and the SSD pool into the other TrueNAS system I have that I would start every week or whenever I need, to make the full backup and transfer all needed stuff to appropriate Shares on the Main NAS HDDs.
a) Full Pool/dataset backup
b) Just rsync of the dataset files from Mini NAS to Main NAS?

2. Do you think TrueNAS will be ok for my usage, or maybe I should try switching and doing something more like Proxmox, and on that try either run every usecase I care about and/or maybe also put TrueNAS inside Proxmox in which I would keep TrueNAS in it just as a NAS system without any dockers and VM on there but on the actual Proxmox. Maybe just drop TrueNAS and keep ZFS (I rly want ZFS for compression :P) in Proxmox and keep that box as a mini hypervisor?

I know this post is kinda long, with a lot of info and weird questions, but I'm struggling to come to the final conclusion and would be very happy to hear from others and maybe you have some other ideas or solutions for my problem xD
And ye, lowering power is a huge concern. If I'm able to lower from 80->10W (average). That is 0.07kW * 24h * 365d = 613 kWh. That is ~250€ per year that I would "save" on power which is substantial for me.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
A NUC is not a great basis for a NAS. Check out the systems in this thread for better ideas.

Delgon

Dabbler
Thanks. I saw that but it did not mention anything that is super low like the NUC. NUC on idle with a normal system on should take around 5-6W which is hard to beat with a normal board, PSU, fans etc.
As I mentioned, it is kinda like NAS + hypervisor and other 24/7 things and my power consumption is the main priority. Performance should be more than enough, lack of RAIDs/Mirrors I plan to compensate with my actual NAS that I'm going to backup to from time to time. No actual critical data will be ever stored in the NUC mini nas I was planning.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If an idle power consumption of around 20 W is low enough for you, you might be interested in the Supermicro A2SDi line of mainboards. They are very reliable and check all the right boxes for a TrueNAS system.

Etorix

Wizard
…with the caveat that A2SDi boards are great for SATA pools (up to 12 ports) but not NVMe pools (single x4 slot + single M.2).