Questions for a Dedicated (no VM/Dockers) TrueNAS Build

I want to build a dedicated NAS around tax time. I've been having issues with my Unraid server and would like to make the TrueNAS build focused on just being a reliable NAS, moving all my dockers and VMs to other dedicated machines (barring maybe something like Syncthing or backup-related services).

Goals:
  • TrueNAS build will be single-function as only a NAS (all dockers/VMs in the homelab will be run on other computers)
  • Initial pool of 8 spinning drives, with the possibility of adding more later
    • Primary purpose of the storage is as a media/backup server, rarely if ever will it ever see any use cases where I'd need an SSD pool
  • Desktop form factor (Fractal Define 7, for example) for low noise as it'll be in a high-traffic room
  • 10Gbe would be preferred, but currently on a 2.5Gbe network

My first question is: What does an ideal pool look like if I want to go with 8, 20(ish) TB drives? I'm fine losing two drives worth of storage to RaidZ2, but is there a more optimal configuration?

The second question is on the motherboard/CPU/RAM choices. Is it unwise to go with desktop-grade hardware? My first thought was an AM5 board with a Ryzen 5 since, as far as I'm aware, I don't need anything higher-spec for a NAS that won't be running VMs and dockers.

My only reservation is that I'm unsure how ECC compatibility is with AM5 boards. I've heard of some success stories with particular boards, but this will be my first time ever using ECC.

For example, one of the part lists I had put together looked something like:
  • 8, 20TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro (Exos is fine too depending on the price)
  • Ryzen 5 7600
  • ASUS X670E ProArt (this seems completely overkill and I'm welcome to better alternatives, but it does have a 10Gb NIC standard)
  • 4x32GB DDR5 ECC UDIMM
  • Fractal Define 7
  • Any 80Plus Gold/Platinum Power Supply

Arwen

MVP
Welcome to the forums!

A few comments:
  • Yes, with 8 disks RAID-Z2 makes sense.
  • The system board you selected, like many desktop boards, has limited SATA ports, 4 in this case. So a disk expansion card is needed, the best compatibility are the LSI / Broadcom / Avago based SAS HBAs, (not the RAID cards). More information can be found here in the forums...
  • ECC RAM functionality really depends on CPU, system board and BIOS support. The system board you listed does ECC RAM support, so I would guess the BIOS support is also present. It also appears that the CPU supports ECC RAM too. But, outside of server boards & server CPUs, YMMV, (Your Mileage May Vary).
Because you appear to be new to TrueNAS, (first post & joined forum today), I'd suggest reading up on ZFS, pool layout, scrubs, snapshots and such. Their are lots of Resource articles in this forum, see link at the top of the forum page.

One thing that occasionally bites new ZFS users is that a ZFS RAID-Z2 disk set, (aka virtual device, vDev for short), can not be expanded by adding another disk. (This is planned and in the works, but don't count on it, it is likely at least a year off...) So the options to expand a ZFS pool is to either replace each disk in a vDev with a larger one and when all are replaced, the vDev will grow in size based on what was added. Or you can add a second vDev.

Welcome to the forums!

A few comments:
  • Yes, with 8 disks RAID-Z2 makes sense.
  • The system board you selected, like many desktop boards, has limited SATA ports, 4 in this case. So a disk expansion card is needed, the best compatibility are the LSI / Broadcom / Avago based SAS HBAs, (not the RAID cards). More information can be found here in the forums...
  • ECC RAM functionality really depends on CPU, system board and BIOS support. The system board you listed does ECC RAM support, so I would guess the BIOS support is also present. It also appears that the CPU supports ECC RAM too. But, outside of server boards & server CPUs, YMMV, (Your Mileage May Vary).
Because you appear to be new to TrueNAS, (first post & joined forum today), I'd suggest reading up on ZFS, pool layout, scrubs, snapshots and such. Their are lots of Resource articles in this forum, see link at the top of the forum page.

One thing that occasionally bites new ZFS users is that a ZFS RAID-Z2 disk set, (aka virtual device, vDev for short), can not be expanded by adding another disk. (This is planned and in the works, but don't count on it, it is likely at least a year off...) So the options to expand a ZFS pool is to either replace each disk in a vDev with a larger one and when all are replaced, the vDev will grow in size based on what was added. Or you can add a second vDev.
Thanks so much for such a thorough reply! I’m definitely going to continue to look into ZFS before I pull the trigger on the build since it’s so different than what I’m used to.

If I may expand on one of your replies: assuming a board I’m looking at does support ECC, is it still typically advised on here to go with server/workstation grade parts from Supermicro and etc.? I’ve been running consumer hardware so far, but I’m fine going with server grade if it brings peace of mind since my biggest goal is a set it and forget it NAS.

Arwen

MVP
Many server boards are designed for both 24x365 operation, and >5 years of life from manufacture date. This can be helpful for reliable function, even for a home NAS. Of course, many consumer computer makers do make solid, long term reliable system boards. That said, all vendors have failures, so even a server board can die before its time.

Their are some great lower end server boards from SuperMicro, ASrock Rack and some other vendors.

Several advantages to server boards:
  • Most support ECC RAM if the CPU & memory does
  • Many have IPMI, a remote management function that allows even remote BIOS access
  • Network chips tend to be higher performance ones, like from Intel, not RealTek. And, their tend to be 2 or more network ports.
  • They tend to leave off:
    • Audio ports
    • Extra video ports
    • Odd ports like Firewire, (not really useful in most server configurations)
  • Plus, while some desk top boards might have 10 or so USB ports of various speeds, server boards tend to have minimal since USB attached disk or network is not desirable in a server.

DigitalMinimalist

Contributor
I would recommend a Entry Server grade Mainboard with IPMI - TrueNAS Scale bare metal.
8x 20TB RAIDZ2
PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 550W ATX 3.0 (great at low wattages)

AM5
ASRock Rack B650D4U-2L2T/BCM
Ryzen 7600 (6C/12T)
2x 32GB DDR5 ECC (or 4x)
HBA with 8x SATA

Or AM4 (I bought my mainboard used)
ASRock Rack X570D4U-2L2T (Intel X550 10GBit NIC)
Ryzen 5600 (6C/12T)
2x 32GB DDR4 ECC (or 4x)

Intel 1700
Supermicro X13SAZ-F
i5 13500 (16C/20T)
2x 32GB DDR5 ECC (or 4x)

HBA with 8x SATA
Optional: 10GBit NIC if 2.5Gbit isn’t sufficient

Intel 1151 v2 (used)
Supermicro X11SCM-F (C246 Mainboard)
i3 9100 (only 4C/4T)
2x 32GB DDR4 ECC (or 4x)