Using TrueNAS as a DAS

s1ght2k

Cadet
Hello,

I have an old PC i turned into a NAS for my Media and plex server. I access it through the network as well as remotely through my OpenVPN and I just use this incase I need to edit photos from different devices and they are all on the same storage device. But my NAS is right next to my main editing PC. I edit 4k and 8k footage so moving 200+ gb every day through my nas over ethernet is a little time-consuming, it only has 1gig ethernet so it's not the fastest for video editing which sucks. my question is, is it possible to use like an ethernet expansion card on both machines or some kind of USB cable to access the NAS drives directly from my main editing PC since they are literally a foot apart?

danb35

Hall of Famer
is it possible to use like an ethernet expansion card on both machines or some kind of USB cable to access the NAS drives directly from my main editing PC
USB cable, no, but of course you could set up a faster Ethernet connection between them. This should get you started with a good grounding in what technologies and hardware you should be looking into: