New hardware or old server; need a general hardware recommendation

txmx

Cadet
Hello fellow users,

I'm looking to set up a NAS system on my own, and would like to get a few recommendations for my usecase, maybe someone has some experience. I've read the community hardware guide and a few threads, but nothing that really answered my question.

Basically, I need the NAS to edit videos and images from it, while also having bulk storage for the footage all in one place. Projects are usually somewhere around 1-2TB for the footage, it can however be a LOT more. My last big project was over 8TB of footage. Right now I have everything that I edit on a 2TB 980 Pro, and once it's done I move it to long term storage (which is a Raid 1 with 2x18TB Seagate on a QNAP Expansion Unit that is connected via USB-C).

I would like to put everything back into a NAS, so I can access it from multiple PCs, so I can edit on my PC or my Laptop.

Usecase:
First: As described photo editing, which should be doable on whatever I need for video editing, so I'm just going to skip this.
Second: Video Editing. I only need it to be powerful enough to be available for one PC at the time. However, It needs to be fast enough for the files. The biggest I reguarly work with are ProResRAW files, which are at 500-ish MB/s (4Gb/s).
Third: I need long term storage for the files, around 90TB should be enough for the next year or so. Ideally I just load the footage on the NAS, and don't need it to move it after editing is done.
Fourth: I also need to be able to set up remote access. Not for editing, but just in case I need to get a file from the storage when I'm away. So speed isn't important for that, it just should be possible.
Fifth: Ideally, the NAS can be in a sleep mode when it's not used, but automatically wake up when I access it from home or remotly (so basically waking up over LAN; I don't remember the name for that function).

Other things:
I'm quite happy with the Seagate Exos HDDs and would like to keep using them if possible. At least long term storage should be HDD for cost reasons, I'm not quite sure If I configure them fast enough for directly editing off them. As I said I would get like 5 or so 18TB HDDs for actual storage and one or two extra as parity drives - whatever is more recommended. Note regarding speeds of the HDD: The Exos drives are also available as SAS 12Gb/s, not just SATA 6Gb/s - they cost almost the same, so I don't care what I'd get.

Questions:

What hardware would I roughly need for this? Can I get away with just the HDDs for reaching the speed needed, or do I need to install some SSDs as cache or keep on editing on an SSD pool and move it to HDD storage when finished? What would be the ideal setup?

Also: I've noticed that some older server hardware is availabe very cheap, I just don't know if it's good enough. I probably wouldn't go for a rack mounted option (because I would think that they are quite a bit louder/too loud for being next to my desk). But something like a Fuji Primergy with 96GB DDR3 ECC RAM and a dual Xeon E5-2407 (yes, I know, dual CPU is probably completely overkill) is available for less than 150€. Throw in a HBA and a 10Gb/s network card and I can get the whole package for less than 200€. If that's a bad choice, what would I need to look out for when buying used server hardware?

Thanks for reading, looking forward for some answers and help :)

NugentS

MVP
You are unlikley to get anyone to answer such a general question. What hardware is way too difficult question to answer.

Generally NAS does not need latest and greates hardware - but you have to balance age of hardware against features and cost. SMB (yes I am assuming) is a single threaded app - so for one user higher clock speeds are better than more cores.

For serious editing of video off the NAS (which I do not do) you need both speed and IOPS - RAIDz is not the best at that. Mirrors and SSD's are much better - but come at a cost

In general used hardware, preferably server grade, is good and does what its designed to do. But older generally means more power = more expensive running.

Too many variables to answer.

Peter Jakab

Dabbler
Please try to differentiate where you Editing and Storing those video files.
If you have 10Gbps network connection to NAS which is high IOPS capability (horrible high cost) then you are still not able to reach the NVMe speed of the 980 Pro. The Network always be a limiting factor in your case (we are not talking about corporate Fiber attached SAN solutions).
Keep in mind: LAN speeds never equal the Workstations/PC internal bandwidth.

I think you need to find a Workstation (not PC yest that is higher cost/capability) which is enough to able edit those 8-10Gbps project files locally in very high speed (just one project on WS). Then when completed then you can push via 10Gbps to NAS (Raidz2 6x18TB means about 72TB storage behind it) which is take time to copy over but good and safe to store it.
I think that is the ideal performance/price for you.

If I am failed to understand your money not a problem, then ask official iXSystems guys to give you a correct solution.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
What is the budget?