2 Person Video Editing Team - No Hardware Chosen Yet

BigFireTech

Cadet
Hello! New here and first-time poster...

I have read a LOT of threads on here about individuals and teams wanting to use TrueNAS for video editing directly off a server. All of those I've read are asking how to configure existing hardware or if the hardware they have is good enough etc... I am starting this new thread because I have a client who has a 2 person team wishing to accomplish this and no hardware has been chosen yet other than the editing client machines in play and the networking backbone, both of which I imagine should be fine.

What I'm hoping to find is a working and successful real life use-case of a direct-from-server video editing implementation, the hardware used, and actual configuration. (eg. "We have a 3 person team utilizing it with success and the specs of the server are X with Y drives in Z TrueNAS configuration. We're using A for network interfacing between the server and editing machines."

Below is the existing environment at the client.
  • (1) M2 Mac Studio editing machine with 10Gbe (RJ45)
  • (1) Intel PC editing machine running I7 13700K, 128GB RAM, (3) NVME drives - 1 OS and 1 scratch, 10GBe networking card (RJ45)
  • Both editing machines have solid CAT6 going into a Ubiquiti Enterprise XG 10GB switch.
  • The Enterprise XG is uplinked to a Ubiquiti Aggregation switch via SFP28 over fiber. This switch has capacity to connect the TrueNAS server via SFP28 or SFP+ 10Gb via fiber as well
  • Editing software platform is mix of DaVinci Resolve and Premiere
Other Available hardware Client also has on the shelf that could be used as a part of a solution, if usable:
  • Dell R730XD former SQL server with (2) E5-2690V4, 384GB RAM, 12 LFF bays, no drives
  • Supermicro SuperStorage server that was previously used for backups. (2) E5 2640 V3, 256GB RAM, 12Gb/s SAS HBA, no drives
  • Synology Diskstation DS3622xs+ with (12) 8TB Toshiba NAS drives in it. This could be utilized as a backup unit, or the drives pulled and put into the TrueNAS server, if there is a way to include these drives to arrive at a functional solution.
Use of the above hardware is by no means a requirement, however I'd like to save the client some $$ if any of it can be utilized in a viable solution.

Given the above infrastructure, what do I need to appropriate to complete a working solution as far as server hardware, drives, any changes or additions to the existing networking, etc? Hoping someone here can share a real-world working configuration. I don't have the time, and the client doesn't have the money to pay me to sit and play around with different drive types and configurations to find optimal application. I'd think plenty of folks have already done this.

Thank you in advance!! I appreciate all of you who take the time to answer on forums like this!