Not using HA but webGUI pauses due to "Waiting for Active TrueNAS controller to come up."

atthemoment

Cadet
Good morning

My forum search identifies this issue as pertaining to running TrueNas Scale within a high availability environment. My version of TrueNas (TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.2) is running bare metal on a single server with no Enterprise license.

Scale_Screenshot 2023-06-16 112841.png

I initially thought this was a networking problem, but it seems the "Active Controller" pertains to the storage controller on the active or standby host. Am I misunderstanding what I'm reading? What steps can I take to correct this?

Just an FYI, the three virtual machines I run on the host have no issues or pausing while accessing them through Remote Desktop.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I suspect this may be a poorly-worded error message. Do you have any reverse proxies or other things that might be blocking some of the connectons the WebGUI needs?

atthemoment

Cadet
I suspect this may be a poorly-worded error message. Do you have any reverse proxies or other things that might be blocking some of the connectons the WebGUI needs?
Thank you

No reverse proxies being used. I should have added this issue started over a month ago at which time I thought it was related to Pfsense. That was not the case.

atthemoment

Cadet
Looks like I've found a thread started yesterday with similar issues. That thread goes into much greater detail of the issue and possible solutions.

Unstable connection using two NICs

It also includes an added detail I inadvertently looked over. My host server has dual NICs running separate VLANs. If a moderator could close this thread it would be appreciated.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
My forum search identifies this issue as pertaining to running TrueNas Scale within a high availability environment.

TrueNAS SCALE does not support high availability; this is exclusively a TrueNAS Enterprise feature (paid).

That thread goes into much greater detail of the issue and possible solutions.

It had some really weird ideas mixed in there, so be careful of "possible solutions".

My host server has dual NICs running separate VLANs.

That shouldn't cause any problems as long as it is configured correctly. Lots of us have lots of networks attached to the NAS (virtual or actual is not really a significant difference). The big mistake you don't want to make is to activate multiple network interfaces within a single network, because that's broken networking. See

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
TrueNAS SCALE does not support high availability; this is exclusively a TrueNAS Enterprise feature (paid).

Its a little pedantic, but TrueNAS SCALE software has an HA capability which should only be enabled when running on a TrueNAS HA appliance. The HA code is enabled with an Enterprise license.

It is possible that some error messages might be confusing. I'd recommend updating to 22.12.3 and then troubleshooting.

atthemoment

Cadet

It had some really weird ideas mixed in there, so be careful of "possible solutions".

That shouldn't cause any problems as long as it is configured correctly. Lots of us have lots of networks attached to the NAS (virtual or actual is not really a significant difference). The big mistake you don't want to make is to activate multiple network interfaces within a single network, because that's broken networking. See

Thank you, in that case I will ask to keep this thread open. I will also read the post in the link you provided.

atthemoment

Cadet
It is possible that some error messages might be confusing. I'd recommend updating to 22.12.3 and then troubleshooting.

I had actually updated to 22.12.3 (before reading the release notes) hoping it would fix this issue.

The update prevented my VM's from starting due to using PCI passthrough. Thank you for the suggestion though.

atthemoment

Cadet
Just an update:

1. I use pfSense CE to manage my home network
  2. My WEB-ui and TrueNas Scale Server resides on NIC # 1 with VLAN subnet 10.20.0.0/24
  3. The mini PC I accessed My WEB-ui with was on NIC # 2 VLAN subnet 10.20.3.5
  4. The "Waiting for TrueNas Controller..." error occurred roughly every 30-45 seconds
  5. This configuration was used with both subnets set with DHCP on and without setting up a bridge network.
  6. Properly setup a bridge network and only NIC # 1 VLAN subnet 10.20.0.0/24 with DHCP
  7. Accessing my WEB-ui while still on NIC # 2 VLAN subnet 10.20.3.5 continued to produce the same error
  8. Decided to switch the mini-PC's subnet
  9. Switching the mini-PC to the server/WEB-ui VLAN subnet of 10.20.0.0/24 appears to have stopped the error
  10. For the moment I am trying to research a possible pfSense rule configuration issue
  11. Switching the mini-PC back to its original VLAN subnet of 10.20.3.5 produces the error immediately