Not New To FreeNAS But New To the Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudyamid

Cadet
Greetings everyone,

I've been using FreeNAS since 11.0 (not too long ago) and have been pretty impressed by it - especially when it's a free product! I've used it at work to install on the old HP G7 boxes that were left lying around during a data center move. I've used my own old AMD CPUs at home running FreeNAS and bhyve to host my home Ubuntu environment. Now I'm in a process to migrate to a better AMD CPU with upgraded RAM (I only wish RAM prices are lower now!) so I can host more VMs.

Looking forward to contribute here and in FreeNAS Facebook group.

-Rudy

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Greetings everyone,

I've been using FreeNAS since 11.0 (not too long ago) and have been pretty impressed by it - especially when it's a free product! I've used it at work to install on the old HP G7 boxes that were left lying around during a data center move. I've used my own old AMD CPUs at home running FreeNAS and bhyve to host my home Ubuntu environment.

It's great to benefit from professional product development. I wish it happened more often. The price you pay is that you're helping to test and refine the TrueNAS paid product, of course, but that's quite a reasonable exchange.

Now I'm in a process to migrate to a better AMD CPU with upgraded RAM (I only wish RAM prices are lower now!) so I can host more VMs.

Dude, RAM prices *are* lower now. It doesn't seem like that long ago I was paying about $100 per 1MB SIMM stick. Of course that was almost 30 years ago. :smile: If it helps, RAM prices are likely to fall somewhat more in the near term.

Looking forward to contribute here and in FreeNAS Facebook group.

-Rudy

Welcome aboard.

rudyamid

Cadet
Dude, RAM prices *are* lower now. It doesn't seem like that long ago I was paying about $100 per 1MB SIMM stick. Of course that was almost 30 years ago. :) If it helps, RAM prices are likely to fall somewhat more in the near term.
Welcome aboard.

Thanks for the welcome. I've since upgraded my Freenas to 11.2-STABLE, put it into a new CPU/MOBO and stuck in a couple of Viper RAMs giving me 32GB. I've expanded my VMs to include Elasticsearch centOS installs. I paid $245 for the two 16GB sticks, a month ago. I have seen it gone down in price but not significant enough. But, it's totally worth having those extra memory!

regards
Rudy

Status
Not open for further replies.