SOLVED Not enough space on root to update 9.3-STABLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian351c

Patron
Hello all. I'm running into an issue where I cannot update my FreeNAS 9.3 STABLE machine using the update mechanism in the GUI. I get these errors:

Code:
Jan 10 16:31:03 nas1 updated.py: [freenasOS.Update:718] Update got exception during update: [Errno 28] No space left on device
Jan 10 16:31:11 nas1 manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: [Errno 28] No space left on device]

The root filesystem is fairly full:

Code:
Filesystem                                                                 Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
freenas-boot/ROOT/FreeNAS-FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412200530                  1.0G    936M    108M    90%    /

Is it normal for root to be this full? I poked around bit and /usr is 819M all by itself, so there's not much room left for anything else, say, unzipping 100M update files...

My boot devices are mirrored 64GB SSDs (actually one is 128GB, not that it should matter in this situation).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

ian351c

Patron
Figured it out...

Space on the boot device is now managed differently than it was before 9.3. No longer are partitions added and deleted automagically when you update. It appears that this space needs to be managed manually now... The Boot Environments listed under System > Boot need to be pruned to remove older versions on FreeNAS. I was assuming that this screen was to basically manage the Grub menu, alas.

Fraoch

Patron

rogerh

Guru
Figured it out...

Space on the boot device is now managed differently than it was before 9.3. No longer are partitions added and deleted automagically when you update. It appears that this space needs to be managed manually now... The Boot Environments listed under System > Boot need to be pruned to remove older versions on FreeNAS. I was assuming that this screen was to basically manage the Grub menu, alas.

This is true, so far as it goes, but I did a new install to two nominal 40GB SSDs and *all* the remaining space (about 32GiB) is available to my root partition. I could probably have several hundred alternative snapshots to boot from before running out of space. So something odd happened when you installed 9.3. Was it an update or new install? If you can reproduce it I would say it was a bug.

ian351c

Patron
This should help explain both the question from @Fraoch and the observation by @rogerh:

I started with a 4GB USB stick and a fresh FreeNAS install. I then mirrored that to a 64GB SSD. Then I broke the mirror by removing the USB stick and replaced it in the mirror with the 128GB SSD.

I guess I need to figure out how to expand the usable space on the SSDs. ;)
zpool online -e is my friend... Pool expanded. Though I'm seeing this now: "block size: 512B configured, 4096B native" but I'm not really worried about it since SSDs are pretty fast to begin with and I don't use this pool on a daily basis. IOW: I won't really notice the difference, so why fix it.

Last edited:

rogerh

Guru
This should help explain both the question from @Fraoch and the observation by @rogerh:

I started with a 4GB USB stick and a fresh FreeNAS install. I then mirrored that to a 64GB SSD. Then I broke the mirror by removing the USB stick and replaced it in the mirror with the 128GB SSD.

I guess I need to figure out how to expand the usable space on the SSDs. ;)
zpool online -e is my friend... Pool expanded. Though I'm seeing this now: "block size: 512B configured, 4096B native" but I'm not really worried about it since SSDs are pretty fast to begin with and I don't use this pool on a daily basis. IOW: I won't really notice the difference, so why fix it.

Well it doesn't explain how ian351c ended up with a 1GB pool. But can he use the same commands as you to expand his pool to fill his 64GB SSDs? Perhaps you could give him instructions?

danb35

Hall of Famer
As an aside, you're saying that two devices of different sizes should be able to mirror each other?
Yes, I'm running with an 8 GB USB stick mirrored to a 16 GB USB stick. It appears, though, that the boot pool doesn't have the auto-expand property set like data pools do. That doesn't explain how ian351c ended up with a 1 GB pool exactly, but it would explain how he would have ended up with a 4 GB pool, which is very space-constrained with 9.3.

ian351c

Patron
I ended up with a 4 GB pool, which appears as a 1GB dataset when there are multiple both environments. Deleting everything except "default" and my current boot environment gave me something like 3GB free. Then I expanded it and I'm up to 51GB free.

Status
Not open for further replies.