Updates failing on FreeNAS 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon

Contributor
I'm currently unable to update my FreeNAS install any longer, and an update is queued. I tried applying the updates via the web UI, but an error pops up in the web UI (it disappears too quickly for me to capture, but the same text gets logged). I get the following errors in the system log when I do so:

Code:
Jan 17 13:23:09 callisto updated.py: [freenasOS.Update:699] Unable to mount boot-environment FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501162230
Jan 17 13:23:17 callisto updated.py: [freenasOS.Update:741] Update got exception during update: Unable to mount boot-environment FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501162230
Jan 17 13:23:18 callisto manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: Unable to mount boot-environment FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501162230]

Anyone have any idea what is going on here?

demon

Contributor
The update for 20150115<mumble> had a typo. You can either go to the previous boot environment and update, or you can edit /usr/local/lib/freenasOS/Update.py and change the line that has "arts =" to "args =".

Oh, goody. Using vi is easier than rebooting to the old environment, so I'll go for door #2. Thanks!

Edit: I made the change, reran the update, and everything proceeded apace. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Dwight Turner

Explorer
anyone can tell me how to do this?

i tried editing with nano from shell but nothing comes up

S

sef

If you are not comfortable with using an editor in the FreeNAS shell environment, it'll be easier to pick the previous boot environment, and then update from that.

(I, personally, have no idea how to use nano. I know how to use vi.)

demon

Contributor
Agreed, I was thinking of composing a sed command, but if you're not familiar enough with vi to use it, just boot to the previous boot environment, then run an update from the web UI. Done and done.

hungarianhc

Patron
Thanks for this thread! I fixed the file, and then the update went perfectly!

It does frustrate me a bit that things like this make it onto the stable track...

anika200

Contributor
I ended up doing a manual gui upgrade with the latest patch found here and that worked fine.
I did have a bit of a scare when it got stuck at 67% for 10-15 minutes but in the end it worked.

PenalunWil

Contributor
I am also having issues with up-dating to the FreeNAS 9.3 version. I have tried updating from an earlier version of 9.2 straight to the 9.3 version without any interim up-dates between. Was that wise? Should I have up-dated incrementally as each up-date was released?
That aside the up-date was a total failure and I have failed to get back into my FreeNAS box at all. Not only that but now I'm finding that my IPMI is freezing on certain tabs.
Fortunately I decided to back up everything on my NAS before I started the up-date so if I ended up having to do a total fresh install then that wouldn't be the end of the world.

anika200

Contributor
Fortunately I decided to back up everything on my NAS before I started the up-date so if I ended up having to do a total fresh install then that wouldn't be the end of the world.
You booting via usb stick yes? If so, is it 8GB or greater? I had hosed my freenas box with the upgrade too, but I tried to use my old usb stick 4GB which is no longer the recommended size.
Once I stuck in a new usb stick, I did a total new install and then just imported my old settings from backup and everything worked.
Until the one update which caused problems writing to the boot/usb stick. See here.

PenalunWil

Contributor
You booting via usb stick yes? If so, is it 8GB or greater? I had hosed my freenas box with the upgrade too, but I tried to use my old usb stick 4GB which is no longer the recommended size.
Once I stuck in a new usb stick, I did a total new install and then just imported my old settings from backup and everything worked.
Until the one update which caused problems writing to the boot/usb stick. See here.

Yes I used a 16GB Kingston Traveller. I now have FreeNAS 9.3 up and running and have decided to do a completely fresh install with new zvols, datasets etc etc....
I removed/backed up all my files prior to the fresh install so that I have a lovely clean slate to start with and a solid FreeNAS 9.3 version to reload them back onto.

Dwight Turner

Explorer
ended up doing a manual gui upgrade with the latest patch found here and that worked fine.
I did have a bit of a scare when it got stuck at 67% for 10-15 minutes but in the end it worked.

I did this and all good now, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.