Noob Question Regarding File Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

OctanePro

Cadet
Hey All,
So i recently put together my FREENAS box. I have the users setup, volume, share, permission setup. But how am I to access my storage space to add files to it? I tried the FREENAS IP and the HostName i get nothing. Help would be appreciated. Thank you.

ProtoSD

MVP
Hello OctanePro,

It's a very common mistake and easy to miss. At the top of "Services" in the left column there is "CONTROL Services", open that, scroll down to CIFS and toggle it from OFF to ON. You may also need to verify you have "Browsable to Network Clients" checked under "Sharing" and clicking on the share name.

Hope that helps!

OctanePro

Cadet
To add to my noob questions, I saw in the FAQ the following:

1) If my hardware/motherboard dies, can I rebuild with new/different hardware and still import/read the data from my disks? What about my datasets?

YES, as long as you aren't using hardware RAID and let ZFS handle the RAID; datasets are basically a folder/directory that lives on your volume with your other files, but have a separate mountpoint, such as /mnt/your-pool/dataset_1
I am running my raid off the HardWare Raid Configure due to the fact that when I went into FreeNas and into the Create a Volume section it didn't list any of my drives in the machine. However when I went into my hardware raid config menu and created the raid, then went back into FreeNAS it would then list it. But ofcourse I couldn't setup the raid within FreeNAS with all the nice FreeNAS configs. Can someone tell me why?

Status
Not open for further replies.