noob question: RAIDZ1 Hard Drives physical sizes

Sooty

Cadet
Hi everyone apologies for the long post.

I am going to start building out a TureNAS CORE system for home storage (spec in signature) and want to ensure I get the hard drives right.
I've done a bit of research but I have a few questions based on the fact my case only has space for 2 x 3.5 inch drives and 1 x 2.5 inch.
I would ideally like 3 x 2TB hard drives running in RAIDZ1.

Question 1:
(3.5 inch drives) There is a big price difference between Seagate Skyhawk (256MB Cache) and IronWolf drives - both version I am looking at are CMR. Are there any issues using the Skyhawk drives for a home NAS that won't be heavily utilized? Although I don't have anything mission critial I also don't want to lose any data.

Questoin 2:
(2.5 inch drive) Will there be any issue using a 2.5 inch along with the 3.5 inch drives?
If I get a spinning I will look at getting the same speed and capacity as the 3.5 inch drives, do I need to look at any other specs?
Would there be any issues using a 2.5 inch SSD along with the 3.5 inch spinning drives?

I guess my other option could be to get 3 x 2.5 inch drives that are identical?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I would ideally like 3 x 2TB hard drives running in RAIDZ1.
This really seems like an odd configuration to request today--the $/TB just doesn't make sense for that small of a drive. 2x 4 TB in a mirror would likely cost less, burn fewer watts, and be easier to expand in the future as/when needed. But with that said, there's nothing that would prevent you from building your pool as you describe.

Sooty

Cadet
This really seems like an odd configuration to request today--the $/TB just doesn't make sense for that small of a drive. 2x 4 TB in a mirror would likely cost less, burn fewer watts, and be easier to expand in the future as/when needed. But with that said, there's nothing that would prevent you from building your pool as you describe.
Thank you - I told you I was novice ha ha.

Not sure why I didn't think of that. I can get 2 brand new 4TB IronWolf hard drives for aorund £200.
Getting 2 x 2TB 3.5 inch and 1 x 2TB 2.5 inch would cost more!

Arwen

MVP
Many 2.5" large capacity hard drives use SMR technology... so buyer beware.

Sooty

Cadet
Many 2.5" large capacity hard drives use SMR technology... so buyer beware.
Thank you.
I've decided to go with 2 x 4TB 3.5 inch IronWolf drives in mirror.
I'll setup TrueNAS and then spend a few weeks going over Cyberjocks presentation and the TureNAS forums before using it "in production".