CSE-836TQ-R800B and SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlinton

Dabbler
Hey all,
I am looking at this chassis for my FreeNAS upgrade: http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/3U/836/SC836E2-R800.cfm

I tried to search around to see how the supermicro hard drive caddies are made but I didn't have a whole lot of luck. Does anyone know if a 2.5 to 3.5 inch adapter can be used to mount a 2.5 inch SSD into one of the 3.5 inch hot swap bays? My main concern would be how the drive meets the backplane.

I'm open to suggestions, but after looking around for a while I think this is the best chassis that I can get with my current budget.

FYI, For every three 3.5 SATA drives, I have one 2.5 SSD. My current layout would fill the first two rows on day one with room to expand.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I personally own some of these... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994083

Now if you look at the picture the screw holes are on the sides. 2 things you keep in mind from personal experience:

1. The caddies may not be side screw mounted. They may be underside mounted.
2. The converters you receive may not actually have side screws. They may be underside only.

Bought some from Newegg years ago and they worked fine. I got exactly what was in the picture and it was what I needed. Bought 2 for a friend's machine last year and they were no longer side mounted. The holes were underneath. In the case he had (Norco) you could do either one. Not sure about the Supermicro caddies, so do your homework and perhaps only buy one to see how they turn out. I actually keep 2 spares around the house because when you need one, you really need one.

mlinton

Dabbler
This appears to be exactly what I need. Luckily, I am only 30 minutes away from a Microcenter and they carry the same product, I can check it out in the store and make sure that it will work.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll post back in a few weeks with my results.

Status
Not open for further replies.