non responding system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TM Rydland

Dabbler
Hello, This fall I built my self a secondary FreeNAS server to keep my most important files safe in case of fire or burglary. The machine was to be placed at different house than my own which means that I will not have direct access to it once it is up and running. I have therefore spent a lot of time testing it so that i know that everything works, and for a couple of months it worked without any faults.

But the past month it has suddenly stopped responding and to get it going again I need to reset or cold start the computer.
I did get some out of swap space just before xmas when I changed the logging level to debug.

The only services that are currently running is SMART and SSH.
I have no jails or plugins going either.

Ive been using rsync over ssh to syncronise the vital data from my primary FreeNAS system.

The system specs:
8GB RAM
Intel Pentium G4400
MSI H110 Mainboard

three Seagate 2,5" 1TB drives set at RAIDZ1

I've been searching the forum for some solutions, but the closest thing to a solution was to increase the swap space, and that was apparently not recommended as it did not solve the problem but postponed it.

I have been thinking of resetting the system and wiping the harddrives to get a clean start again, but I am not sure if that will solve the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

TM Rydland

Dabbler
Forgot to tell that I am running version 9.10.2, but the problem also happened with 9.10.1 U4

does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

melloa

Wizard
I have been thinking of resetting the system and wiping the harddrives to get a clean start again, but I am not sure if that will solve the problem.

Don't know what is going on, but I think is a little too dramatic wipe your HDDs to fix the system issue.

Glorious1

Guru
First thing I would do is pore through the logs looking for clues. Is the machine still at your house on the same power as your primary machine?

TM Rydland

Dabbler
Pore through the logs is not easy because it does not seem to store the latest happenings before it all stalls, but yesterday I left the webgui logged in and left it there. I got a clue from the black logfield at the bottom of the webgui that maybe the usb stick was struggling. So for the meantime I have found an old 160GB drive and installed it and set it to hold the system dataset pool to ease the load on the usbstick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If your USB boot drive is failing then you need to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.