No such devise: swap

stajo

Explorer
Hi, I am having some difficulties installing my first Freenas.

In an earlyer post I had problem with my M.2 disc. It was the SATA interface and I have now upgraded to a NVMe disc to match the adapter inteface.

HW:
Mb: Supermicro X9SRi
Memory: 16 gb 1333 mHx
System drive: Kingston A2000 M.2 250GB on a Delock PCI Express x4 Card > 1 x internal NVMe M.2 Key
Storage: 10 x 1,5 Tb

The Freenas installation finds the system drive, both in IDE and AHCI and I can chose it for installation but then I got the choice for choosing Create Swap 16 Gb on disk. So I did that.

Then I got a message saying No such device: swap, and after some aborting and resetting by the installation process it says: The FreeNas installation on nvd0 has failed.

I tried not chosing Create Swap but I get the same result.

Any ideas what is happening?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1335.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1335.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 287

stajo

Explorer
Actually I just came by that step and managed to install Freenas on the Kingston A2000 M.2 250GB on a Delock PCI Express x4 Card > 1 x internal NVMe M.2 Key. Now the problem is that Supermicro does not let me set it as a boot device in BIOS. It has option to create an new boot device mut then I have to create a path for that, and I have no idea how to do that. Anyone knows?

stajo

Explorer
Ah well. Tried upgrading BIOS as well but no luck. New thing I could choose Windows Boot Manager as AHCI boot but that was not really what I wanted. I give up and run from an USB stick.

stajo

Explorer
It installed on a stick alright so I ran it up for a test but I couldnt create any vdev with any combination of my 1,5 Tb discs. It said Mixing disks of different sizes is in a vdev not allowed. All 10 disks were listed as 1,36 Tb. Awesome first experience.

stajo

Explorer
After some Netflix I went back and booted up the NAS again and I managed to figure out that one of the disks was impossible to add to the vdev. If I added that one I got the "Mixing disks of different sizes is in a vdev not allowed -message". So what I did was creating a Z2 vdev with the other 9 disks, and added the nasty one as a hot spare, which FreeNAS alowed me. After that it alowed me to create. After creation I can see disk information like sizes under "Disks" that I didnt do before. I will let it format during night and then probably export/disconnect it and see if it sees it the disks as same size and allow me to use them all in a vdev. I think there might have been rests of a bootable windows or so in the nasty one, making FreeNAS see it different then the others. This is my first experiment so I use a bunch of used disks.