No Serials, SMART tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

cplmayo

Dabbler
This is my first post; I've tried to search around the forums and google before coming here to post this so please be kind if I missed a thread.

Let me start with my setup.
MB: Supermicro X7DCL-i
CPU: Dual Xeon E5410
RAM: 24GB DDR2 ECC
HBA: IBM 25R8071/LSI SAS 3444E
Enclosure: Xtore 2U 12Bay - built in SAS Expander
HDDS: 2xWD 2TB RE4
4xWD 2TB Greens

The HBA I'm using is weak and the Green drives need to go but this is what I have until my budget facilitates me upgrading to better HDDs and a better HBA.

My problem:

In the GUI I don't get any serial numbers for any of the Hard Drives. Also from what I can tell the pre-built script for smartd will not return any information.

Code:
smartctl /dev/da0 -a
smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p15 amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Probable ATA device behind a SAT layer
Try an additional '-d ata' or '-d sat' argument.

Ran down the rabbit hole on this and found this.

Code:
smartctl /dev/da0 -a -d scsi
smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p15 amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

User Capacity:        2,000,398,934,016 bytes [2.00 TB]
Logical block size:   512 bytes
Logical Unit id:      0x50014ee0ada02dd1
Serial number:        WD-WMAY03848157
Device type:          disk
Local Time is:        Sat Nov 22 10:51:32 2014 EST
SMART support is:     Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is:     Enabled
Temperature Warning:  Disabled or Not Supported

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Health Status: OK

Error Counter logging not supported

Device does not support Self Test loggin

So obviously the HDDs support SMART and the information can be read directly from the drives. I think it is something in the default settings in FreeNAS that is not passing the information through the HBA card to the drives.

Is there a tunable or setting that I need to change to properly pass the information so I can monitor my HDDs and have the serials in the GUI. Putting any data on the Green drives worries me without SMART reporting because they are prone to problems.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Do you need the HBA right now? You only have six drives, surely your motherboard has that many SATA ports.

cplmayo

Dabbler
My server is 1u with only 4 hot swap bays, which now hold my green drives. I have a raid enclosure that requires SFF-8088 to connect, that is why I'm using the HBA.

I took the server down earlier and hooked the hotswap bays up the the motherboard so they properly report SMART data and show serials.

I'm wondering if the SAS expanders what is causing the issues.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I will tell you that if you are having to add the -d, then the hard you are using shouldn't be used with FreeNAS. So instead of trying to say something like "i'll get one when I have money" what you should be saying is "I don't plan to use this server until I have proper hardware. Sorry for the confusion."

You don't need a "better HBA". What you need is compatible hardware. :P

cplmayo

Dabbler
I will tell you that if you are having to add the -d, then the hard you are using shouldn't be used with FreeNAS. So instead of trying to say something like "i'll get one when I have money" what you should be saying is "I don't plan to use this server until I have proper hardware. Sorry for the confusion."

You don't need a "better HBA". What you need is compatible hardware. :p

I agree with you, the question is though, is it the HBA or the RAID enclosure with the SAS Expander? I plan to get a new HBA M1505? Soon from ebay to replace the one I am using but will I still have issues with the enclosure?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The SAS expander has no bearing on SMART. It simply routes the data from point A to point B.

I wouldn't get an M1505, but the M1015 is a good choice.

You may or may not have issues with the enclosure. No way to know when you shouldn't be using the hardware to begin with. :P Take it one step at a time.

cplmayo

Dabbler
I think I figured out what is going on today. The IBM 25R8071/LSI SAS 3444E uses the LSISAS1068E controller based which uses the LSI Logic Fusion-MPT SCSI driver ("mpt"). Which would explain why I have to use the scsi device flag. Since I need a external SAS to connect to my JBOD enclosure I am leaning towards either 9212-4i4e or 9207-8e for my HBA needs. These are both based off of the same controller as the M1015 so I should be good to go; just have to flash into IT mode. I am thinking that the 9212-4i4e is the best option so that I still have four internal 6Gbp/s connectors for the 1u hotswap bays. The one external connector should work just fine with my 12 bay JBOD.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Keep in mind that buying a used M1015 from ebay (typically around $100) is usually the cheapest and most common way that people get a compatible controller. Buying new can double (or triple) the price tag for just the controller. ;)

cplmayo

Dabbler
I found a few different models that use the same chip as the M1015. Prices on eBay have been $80-150. The Forums, many of your posts, have helped a lot. Just have to dig and research. At least the forums give me a place to start.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

marbus90

Guru
Another way to achieve external SAS ports would be simple SFF-8087 to SFF-8088 cables or brackets.

cplmayo

Dabbler
Another way to achieve external SAS ports would be simple SFF-8087 to SFF-8088 cables or brackets.
I've looked at those but it is a 1U case so there isn't any room.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

cplmayo

Dabbler
I replaced my HBA with a LSI 9212-4i4e card, flashed to Firmware v 16 in IT mode so now the serials do show up on most of the drives. Some of the drives still show no serial but I can run a python command to sync the serials to the GUI. However after a reboot the serials disappear again.

Anyone seen this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.