No Network Connectivity after Core -> SCALE migration

seb101

Contributor
Hi all, a little help needed please.

After migrating from Core to SCALE (release train method) I have no network connectivity in or out of the SCALE host. The interface will configure itself via DHCP, or accept a static IP and the interface is UP, but the host will not respond to WebUI/SSH or even Ping on that IP. Similarly I cannot ping out to the default gateway from the SCALE host (even though that gateway is the very same DHCP server that configures the interface via DHCP).

If I tcpdump the interface on the SCALE host I see all the normal network chatter (STP/ARP etc) and I can also see in the incoming PING and https requests from my desktop client - but no responses out from the SCALE host, so I can rule out any external network/routing problems. It's like the interface is physically up but not plumbed into the linux host/services properly, yet netstat shows the services bound to 0.0.0.0.

I'm completely stuck.

1672762998136.png

1672764190053.png

1672763369468.png

1672764355222.png

1672763635714.png

1672763501568.png

seb101

Contributor
Taking some inspiration from a post here I took a guess that it was one of the vlan/bridge interfaces that was somehow interfering with the network setup, so I took the nuclear option and deleted all interfaces except the primary one, this fixed this issue.

I suspect, though can't confirm, it was the 'br0' bridge that was migrated from Core for VM communication, of which the primary interface enp2s0f0 was a member that got fubar'd during the migration.

seb101

Contributor
Network does seem to be the trickiest part of migration. Another hard to debug error was that one of my VMs had it's guest NIC change name inside the guest OS, I am not sure why this happened. As a result the guest OS had no network config for this interface and did not bring it up on boot resulting in no network in or out. This had to be fixed by using the VNC console to manually edit /etc/network to fix the interface name. Posting for reference!

c77dk

Patron
Network does seem to be the trickiest part of migration. Another hard to debug error was that one of my VMs had it's guest NIC change name inside the guest OS, I am not sure why this happened. As a result the guest OS had no network config for this interface and did not bring it up on boot resulting in no network in or out. This had to be fixed by using the VNC console to manually edit /etc/network to fix the interface name. Posting for reference!
When changing from CORE to SCALE, you also change virtualization platform (bhyve to kvm), which presents different "hardware" to the guests.

lell186

Dabbler
Just for other people's reference I found that on ubuntu 20.04 I had to edit "/etc/netplan/00-installer-config.yaml". I got onto the right path with this but only edited the interface name and didn't do anything with mac addresses.