No Keyboard Response

Status
Not open for further replies.

dextr3k

Cadet
Hi, I admit I am a noob, and I am trying to follow the documentation.

However, I seem to be a special kind of stupid. I have a AMD Athlon X2 with a Biostar Motherboard. I downloaded the FreeNAS-9.1.1.iso and burnt it onto a CD. Everything boots fine until I get to the first screen....

and my USB keyboard and mouse do not do anything at this screen. I get power in the keyboard, but no key works and USB mouse does not move. I know the keyboard is working because I can get into BIOS settings, as well when I unplug the keyboard I get some text about it being disconnected. I also have tried other usb ports as well.

So uh....what am I doing it wrong?

Lurch

Cadet
You don't need the mouse so you can unplug that needless potential complication. What motherboard do you have exactly? Easiest solution if possible is to just use a PS2 keyboard.

dextr3k

Cadet
I have a Biostar A770E mobo. Decently recent that it supports usb keyboards. I am able to control BIOS with it, but not when nas4free or freenas are loaded.

And unfortunately a ps2 keyboard is out of my reach. I am just wondering if its something I am stupidly doing wrong.

Whattteva

Wizard
I've run into this issue before and found out that my keyboard didn't work because I had it plugged in to the USB 3.0 port.
If your motherboard has a USB 3.0 controller on it, make sure you're using the USB 2.0 port.

Lurch

Cadet
I've also had the same issue using front USB ports for keyboards or boot devices. Make sure you're using rear ports.

dextr3k

Cadet
I have tried both front and back ports. And my motherboard does not have usb 3. Thats what makes this such a weird problem. It works with everything else, except when I try to do anything on the computer. I have tried live USB, and iso, and nas4free.

gpsguy

Since you're having troubles with other OS', my guess is that it's a BIOS issue and/or setting. Yes, you can get into the BIOS, but when you try to load an OS, it won't work with a USB keyboard.

Is there a BIOS update for your motherboard? You might want to download the manual and see if there are any BIOS settings that you need to tweak. For example, I saw a setting for headless - see if it's set at the default. Also, look at the USB settings. Try changing it.

Lastly, just pick up a ps/2 keyboard. Here in US, I can buy one from a local computer store for $6. I actually prefer ps/2 for keyboard interfaces.

dextr3k

Cadet
It is really weird. I know the keyboard works, because the computer has an installation of XP that I cant wipe, because I cant get past the install. So it works in the OS. Which means I doubt its a BIOS setting.

This only seems to occur in FreeBSD. Did I somehow keep managing to download the headless images?

Lurch

Cadet
Your Biostar motherboard has PS2 ports on it so just use those. USB support in installers is patchy at best, just because it works in the BIOS doesn't mean it will work in everything. You've already said you have 2 different OS's that don't like USB keyboards on boot, so bin it, at least for installs.

dextr3k

Cadet
Yeah, I have ended up grabbing a ps2 keyboard and doing installs that way. working out great.

Status
Not open for further replies.