No Documentation for Multi-user Time Machine.

johnlocke

Dabbler
I'm trying to find official guide to create Multi-user Time Machine share. There are many guides on reddit and youtube, but they all feel hacky and not right.

So I go to Documentation link, and cannot see 13.0 documentation. There is "12.0 Documentation" link to the single PDF file, and "13.0 Release Notes".
I assume whats left ("Configuration Tutorials" and "UI Reference Guide") is actual 13.0 documentation, correct?

What am I missing is "Multi-user Time Machine" guide, how to set up users (one TrueNAS user per Mac, preferably), should they have specific group, How to link the group and whatever ACL permissions on the shared dataset, should I use ACL presets, how file ACL should look like ...

It'd be nice to have official, "blessed" way of creating it. My use case is two Macbooks, both have same MacOS username, one belongs to my company, one is mine.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I think this is the page you're looking for:

It'd be nice to have official, "blessed" way of creating it
Make a dataset, share it, selecting Multi-user Time machine as the purpose. The time machine permissions per user are handled by the share.

You may need/want to tick the box on the user account for Samba Authentication (it's the default though, I think, so should already be on).

Although I would note that it appears to be broken at this time, so despite creating the personal dataset correctly, time machine can't write to it even though the same user can write in that directory... looks like it might be this... fixed in U6 https://www.truenas.com/community/t...r-20-on-macos-ventura-13-4.110498/post-765726

And I can confirm that new ixnas.so file replacement fixes it, so either do that or wait for U6.

Last edited:

johnlocke

Dabbler
Thanks a lot!

new ixnas.so file replacement fixes it
It now seems to be working in TrueNAS-13.0-U5.2 (U5.1 was giving me errors in MacOS)

My steps:
1. Create one user per Mac in TrueNAS. All as default (home = /nonexistent, Samba Auth = yes)
2. Create TimeMachine dataset. ShareType = SMB, Quota for this and children = "1 T". All default for the rest.
3. Create SMB Share Timemachine, Purpose (preset) = "Multi-user timemachine". All default for the rest.

Its backing up now, and no ACL shenanigans needed.

Last edited: