No Disk Space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent

Dabbler
I have been struggling with this all morning, and I have been all over Google searching for the solution. I am a novice to this program, so maybe it is something basic. But I am hoping to get some help here.

adult photo sharing

It's the disk space I am struggling with, hope somebody can help.

Thanks

Knowltey

Patron
In the dropdown on the left side right underneath where it says "Volume layout (Estimated capacity: 0B) are there any options in there. They should look be in the format of "ada#" so ada0, ada1, etcetera for example. Try selecting one of those and see what it does for you.

If that doesn't work also go ahead and try dragging the slider to the right where it says "Drag and drop this to resize"

If that doesn't work go ahead and make sure that the drives show up in your BIOS and then also make sure that they are not already formatted with some other filesystem on them, such as for example NTFS if they were previously installed in a Windows operating system environment for one reason or another. If there is already a filesystem on the disks in question then make sure you format them to not have any filesystem on before you insert them into your computer. You can do this in various methods, I personally will generally just stick such a disk in a Windows comptuer temporarily and use the disk management interface to remove the filesystem from them, but you could also use such a software as Activ@ KillDisk which I also use from time to time, mainly for wiping the USB sticks that I use for my FreeNAS install, since Windows doesn't normally recognize the partitioning scheme on those so the disk management interface isn't an option in those scenarios. So if for whatever reason in Windows you aren't able to see the proper size of the disk in terms of storage space you may also want to look into that route as well and see if that can resovle any issue that may be occurring with the disk.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Looks to me like your disks aren't being detected by FreeNAS.

Post the output of camcontrol devlist and provide your server's hardware configuration. My first guess is your hard disk controller isn't compatible with FreeNAS.

gpsguy

Did you install FreeNAS on a flash drive or on your one and only hard disk. If so, you won't be able to use that hard disk for storage.

It appears that you only have 1608Mb of RAM in the machine. ZFS on FreeNAS needs a minimum of 8Gb of RAM, with 2Gb you'd be limited to UFS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That picture is very small. But there clearly are no hard drives attached.

gpsguy does have it right.. if you don't have the minimum specs you can expect weird and unexpected results and errors. So first you need to get your server up to par with what is required for FreeNAS. Second you need to figure out if your hardware is compatible(first guess is "no").

Trent

Dabbler
All I need is UFS. I changed the RAM size to 2Gb.

EDIT: Uploaded it from a flash. And it's on VirtualBox

gpsguy

I don't understand your edit "uploaded it from a flash".

Are you running on virtual hardware?

Trent

Dabbler
I don't understand your edit "uploaded it from a flash".

Are you running on virtual hardware?

I created a VM, ran freenas 9.2.0 as a disc in my VM, set it up from there. Installed it all, and now I am trying to configure it. I am using VirtualBox.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh my.... This is where I'll bow out of this conversation. Good luck to you guys!

Trent

Dabbler
Haha, I am sorry. I am truly newb at this. Thanks for your time anyways.

Knowltey

Patron
Haha, I am sorry. I am truly newb at this. Thanks for your time anyways.

It is highly highly not recommended to run FreeNAS as a Virtual Machine. While you technically can do it, that running environment is primarly intended for the purpose of doing configuration testing and what-not. Running FreeNAS for the purpose of production in a virtual machine environment quite simply defeats the entire purpose of selecting FreeNAS as your NAS solution as it prevents ZFS from having direct access to your disks which ZFS requires in order to perform pretty much all of the features of why you would use ZFS over other filesystems. Having FreeNAS in a virtual machine environment may also cause ZFS to freak out and cause damage to your data that would otherwise not occur if it was installed on metal.

Also getting FreeNAS to work properly with a virtual machine environment even for the simple purpose of testing something does take from what I understand quite a bit of tweaking to the system to get it to even do the basics properly. Definitely not a situation that somebody new to using the operating system should really be attempting.

Trent

Dabbler
Well, I am only needing to use the UFS, and this is what my instructors have told me to use for this project. Ironically, they don't know how to use it either. So I had to turn to you guys for this information. Is there a way to get the UFS to work? (I see now that I was trying to use ZFS instead of UFS, but I still have the same issue.)

gpsguy

Are you following the examples in the official FreeNAS guide, with respect to installing it on virtual box? For UFS, use 2Gb RAM. I don't have any experience with virtual box - just VMware.

Hopefully, you're just using this for testing FreeNAS. If you were thinking of using it in production, read the stickies on "Don't virtualize ..." or "If you must virtualize ...". A number of user's have been burned by trying to virtualize and doing it wrong.

Dusan

Guru
Did you actually create any data virtual disks? If you only created one disk then that one was claimed by the FreeNAS OS. You need to create at least one addition disk (Settings->Storage in VirtualBox).

Knowltey

Patron
OMFG, seriously, this is like the third or fourth time somebody has come in here in the past couple months saying that they had some assignment that they had to use FreeNAS for yet the instructors don't know themselves how to use FreeNAS and they are telling them to do all these various things that are against FreeNAS 101, ZFS 101, and/or BSD 101. It's silly. You would think an Information Tehcnology professor would want to instill the values of "following best practices" in their students, not whatever the exact opposite of that would be called...

"Okay class your assignment today is to make a fileserver and do the exact opposite of everything you are supposed to do when making it."

Anyhow, you'll have to do some research to see what you need to do to get FreeNAS to recognize whatever virtual hard drive your VirtualBox is using, make sure the VirtualBox isn't pre-formatting the disks with some filesystem or another as well. You'll still need to have FreeNAS be able to see whatever hard drives you are using virtual or otherwise before you can use it with FreeNAS regardless of whether you are planning to put UFS or ZFS on it.

You may also want to try some of the older versions of FreeNAS as well, since the assignment in question I would be willing to bet was written back during like the FreeNAS 8 days, if not even during the 7 days (Which FYI is actually a completely different software that is now known as NAS4Free, perhaps the assignment is actually intended for what is now known as NAS4Free, but was written when NAS4Free was known as FreeNAS?)

There may be a few of the users around the forums though that have more experience with virtualization, and especially virtualization of FreeNAS that would be able to answer your questions better, I've never really played around with virtualization all that much so I'm not really qualified to be digging in much deeper than I already have here.

P.S. - Do me a favour and tell your professor that perhaps before assigning projects to students using certain operating systesm, mayhaps he should learn how to do the assignment himself/herself first. There's a thought. (You may want to wait until you get your final grade for the class before doing this though.)

Dusan

Guru
Also getting FreeNAS to work properly with a virtual machine environment even for the simple purpose of testing something does take from what I understand quite a bit of tweaking to the system to get it to even do the basics properly. Definitely not a situation that somebody new to using the operating system should really be attempting.
I've never really played around with virtualization all that much so I'm not really qualified to be digging in much deeper than I already have here.
You should really try it first before scaring people. It's quite easy. It probably takes less time to get a FreeNAS instance running in VirtualBox than it took you to write that post. Of course, using virtualization in production is difficult to do right, however it is an extremely valuable tool for learning, trying things, doing dry runs... I use FreeNAS VMs to try new ideas before I implement them on my production system and also before I suggest things here on the forum -- very often I can easily simulate the issue and test the solution.
P.S. - Do me a favour and tell your professor that perhaps before assigning projects to students using certain operating systesm, mayhaps he should learn how to do the assignment himself/herself first. There's a thought. (You may want to wait until you get your final grade for the class before doing this though.)
Huh? Should the professor ask them to go and buy new HW for an assignment? A VM is perfect for experimenting!

Knowltey

Patron
You should really try it first before scaring people. It's quite easy. It probably takes less time to get a FreeNAS instance running in VirtualBox than it took you to write that post. Of course, using virtualization in production is difficult to do right, however it is an extremely valuable tool for learning, trying things, doing dry runs... I use FreeNAS VMs to try new ideas before I implement them on my production system and also before I suggest things here on the forum -- very often I can easily simulate the issue and test the solution.

Huh? Should the professor ask them to go and buy new HW for an assignment? A VM is perfect for experimenting!

I read somewhere a while back that it takes a bit of configuration to run properly. Perhaps that's just in certain environments? If that isn't actually the case then disregard.

Never said anything regarding hardware there, just that perhaps they themselves should actually know how to do the assignment before assigning it. Seems to be not much to ask, actually know how to do what you're attempting to teach somebody else how to do. One would think you should do a dry run of an assignment to make sure that it is even possible. Of course in this instance it is possible, but assigning something to students that you yourself don't know how to do and have never done just seems silly. If you've never done it then how can you reasonably expect that it is even doable when it's a nonstandard implementation?

gpsguy

Out of curiousity, does your assignment use these directions? The problem might be, that it was written for FreeNAS 0.7 (project now known as NAS4free and supported on nas4free.org) and it's a different product than what seeing, by downloading the latest FreeNAS. If this is the case, you might want to download the old version and install it. We can't help you with that version here (imagine taking a Lexus to a Chevy dealer), but it might help point you in the right direction.

I saw your bookmarks for MVNU and did a Google search.

Status
Not open for further replies.