Working and tested backup and total system restore for SCALE

Dannyboi09

Cadet
Hey everyone, first time poster, please go easy on me :)

I have recently created a truenas scale build and have been testing and learning about it. I am planning to use it as a photo/video backup solution to replace my Google Photos and OneDrive backup. I am planning to use NextCloud, Photoprism and Zerotier as apps to do the photo/video backup from my phones.

I have gotten all these apps working as I want them to work but I am now struggling to find a working backup and restore method. I have followed what TrueCharts had in their guide and the total system restore does not work for me. I have also contacted them on their discord support and they couldn't help me. Whenever I try to find a backup after I wipe the boot and pool and replicate ix-applications dataset in the new "Main" pool, truetool can't find it.

I can easily backup and restore the photos/videos using replication tasks as I create a different dataset for these but I am now struggling to find a way to backup and restore the apps I have installed using TrueCharts.

I am hoping someone has some sort of process they've tried and tested that worked for them to backup and restore apps on a fresh install of TrueNas SCALE. Keen to hear them and try them out on my own.

Ayo91

Cadet
Hey everyone, first time poster, please go easy on me :)

I have recently created a truenas scale build and have been testing and learning about it. I am planning to use it as a photo/video backup solution to replace my Google Photos and OneDrive backup. I am planning to use NextCloud, Photoprism and Zerotier as apps to do the photo/video backup from my phones.

I have gotten all these apps working as I want them to work but I am now struggling to find a working backup and restore method. I have followed what TrueCharts had in their guide and the total system restore does not work for me. I have also contacted them on their discord support and they couldn't help me. Whenever I try to find a backup after I wipe the boot and pool and replicate ix-applications dataset in the new "Main" pool, truetool can't find it.

I can easily backup and restore the photos/videos using replication tasks as I create a different dataset for these but I am now struggling to find a way to backup and restore the apps I have installed using TrueCharts.

I am hoping someone has some sort of process they've tried and tested that worked for them to backup and restore apps on a fresh install of TrueNas SCALE. Keen to hear them and try them out on my own.
I'm concerned about the same topic. I have other replicated Truenas server and I asked this question: Replicate apps between two servers.

Seems still not possible to replicate apps. I think this apply to your use case too.

For doing backups, I use Google Drive with a Cloud Task, included ix-applications dataset. I think, if I create a new instance of TrueNas and use the content of it, it will not work too...

Did you get a solution?

Dannyboi09

Cadet
I'm concerned about the same topic. I have other replicated Truenas server and I asked this question: Replicate apps between two servers.

Seems still not possible to replicate apps. I think this apply to your use case too.

For doing backups, I use Google Drive with a Cloud Task, included ix-applications dataset. I think, if I create a new instance of TrueNas and use the content of it, it will not work too...

Did you get a solution?
Hey, I actually sort of did get it working now. I've followed the Truecharts instructions to restore but added commands below for all of the apps and Truetool backups to show up (Please know what these commands do first before running them, I've only found these in Truecharts discord):

zfs set mountpoint=legacy primary/ix-applications/k3s/kubelet

mount -t zfs primary/ix-applications/k3s/kubelet /var/lib/kubelet

zfs set mountpoint=legacy $(zfs list -o name | grep ix-applications | grep pvc)

midclt call service.stop kubernetes

midclt call service.start kubernetes

Dannyboi09

Cadet
Also to add to my reply, I have been using an external USB hard drive to backup my ix-applications dataset into. As long as you use replication tasks to backup, I think it should work. If you use Cloud sync I don't think it includes snapshots which is important to restore the apps properly.

Ayo91

Cadet
Hey, I actually sort of did get it working now. I've followed the Truecharts instructions to restore but added commands below for all of the apps and Truetool backups to show up (Please know what these commands do first before running them, I've only found these in Truecharts discord):

zfs set mountpoint=legacy primary/ix-applications/k3s/kubelet

mount -t zfs primary/ix-applications/k3s/kubelet /var/lib/kubelet

zfs set mountpoint=legacy $(zfs list -o name | grep ix-applications | grep pvc)

midclt call service.stop kubernetes

midclt call service.start kubernetes
thanks, really helpfull

copz1998

Dabbler
Helo,
I have a new TrueNAS Scale install and what to back up to my 5TB external USB device. Any recommended software or method? I have seen RSync on a few of the forums, but I did not see much in the TrueNAS Apps area.

Any thoughts?

Arwen

MVP
Helo,
I have a new TrueNAS Scale install and what to back up to my 5TB external USB device. Any recommended software or method? I have seen RSync on a few of the forums, but I did not see much in the TrueNAS Apps area.

Any thoughts?
I do something similar and have documented it here;

How to: Backup to local disks

That is not intended as a plug and play example, just an example of how I did it.

copz1998

Dabbler
Got it!
I found the Data Protection > Replication Task option, configured my 5TB USB external drive and am backing up my primary pool now. Look good.

Thanks!