Backup for TrueNAS SCALE

WhiteTiger

Explorer
I am setting up two small servers
The first is TRUNAS SCALE and will be used as a NAS by 5 users.
The second should be a TrueNAS SCALE to manage a backup server, both to save the contents of the first NAS and the 5 PCs.
I would also like to save the contents of the first NAS on a remote server.
But I don't find anything among the TrueNAS SCALE apps to use as a backup client / server.

What can I do?
Either on the second server I install TrueNAS CORE, or I just install a Debian server.

NugentS

MVP
Replication Tasks under data protection. This is a ZFS to ZFS task. That takes care of the NAS to NAS Backup
As for PC Backups - you will / may need an app for that, and the world is your oyster (assuming you can find it). However an example that will work is the free Veeam product will push backups to the NAS
If you are looking for a client server setup - I don't think one exists yet but you could try urbackup as a option - but there isn't a chart for it yet

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Isnt't there a backup tool that comes with Windows?

Redcoat

MVP

NugentS

MVP
@Patrick M. Hausen yes there is. However I would consider it somewhat challenged. It backs up fine but restoration is less able

Redcoat

MVP

Redcoat

MVP
A write-up on how to deploy and use Veeam agent with TrueNAS would be very useful.
I'll write one up over the next few days. Reading the thread again, my support of Veeam was in the context of using it to back up Windows machines, as the reference by @NugentS and his answer to @Patrick M. Hausen 's question about Windows native Backup. I will be writing up the use of Veeam to backup Windows machine to, and restore from, a TrueNAS Core server - the key for me being that the restore, either total, or file by file, "just works", and is painless (which I did not experience with Windows Backup & Restore).

Last edited:

speedtriple

Explorer
I'll write one up over the next few days. Reading the thread again, my support of Veeam was in the context of using it to back up Windows machines, as the reference by @NugentS and his answer to @Patrick M. Hausen 's question about Windows native Backup. I will be writing up the use of Veeam to backup Windows machine to, and restore from, a TrueNAS Core server - the key for me being that the restore, either total, or file by file, "just works", and is painless (which I did not experience with Windows Backup & Restore).
I also came to the Veeam conclusion. Microsoft is file-level and not that easy on restore, and also renames the files until restored.

Veeam Agent free backs up my pc's to TrueNAS on a shared SMB network-folder.
Are there any other more smooth way to set up Veeam Agent backup to TrueNAS?

xeroiv

Cadet
Is there a way to trigger a script prior to and post completion of the replication jobs? I am looking to have a setup like this but would leave the second server powered off most of the time and would want the job on the first server to wake/sleep the second server.

NugentS

MVP
No reason you can't script a replication task at the command line (just don't ask me how to do one off box via, presumably SSH)
Then (if I read you right) you could do a simple test for remote server exists, if present run replication. If not then end

Scheduling via the crontab in the GUI would then be very easy