GURU needed ! £30 for an hour of 1 on 1 help ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

treboR2Robert

Dabbler
Is anyone willing to help me out with my FreeNAS build (11.2 BETA2) via some kind of instant messenger maybe even remote assistance ?

The main thing I am struggling with is iocage jails ( plex and transmission ) they are both up and running but i cannot figure out the permissions and also some of the mounts are not even being labeled properly. (using the new UI)

Obviously you have to be an expert, I don't wanna spend an hour chatting with someone who has a rough idea because I might as well talk to myself.

Mod note:

Requesting paid support is explicitly not allowed by the forum rules. This message has been edited accordingly.
- Ericloewe

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nkey_

MVP
The UIDs and GIDs need to match inside the jail and the host.

Let's say you have a media user and media group. The UID of the media user is 5000, the GID is also 5000. You've got to create a user with the same IDs inside the jail and the host. Any program that runs, you must configure the various applications to run as the media user. This is usually set in the /etc/rc.conf within the jail. You'd need to refer to the rc script to find out how to run the program as the media user and not it's default.

For Plex Media Server it's the following:
Code:
plexmediaserver_user="media"
plexmediaserver_group="media"

You would need to set Transmission to also run as the "media" server within it's jail.

If you've done this all correctly, your jails and host all have the same user with the same UID/GIDs and the storage correctly assigned, you'll find the applications will be able to share the data with read/write privileges.

treboR2Robert

Dabbler
The UIDs and GIDs need to match inside the jail and the host.

Let's say you have a media user and media group. The UID of the media user is 5000, the GID is also 5000. You've got to create a user with the same IDs inside the jail and the host. Any program that runs, you must configure the various applications to run as the media user. This is usually set in the /etc/rc.conf within the jail. You'd need to refer to the rc script to find out how to run the program as the media user and not it's default.

For Plex Media Server it's the following:
Code:
plexmediaserver_user="media"
plexmediaserver_group="media"

You would need to set Transmission to also run as the "media" server within it's jail.

If you've done this all correctly, your jails and host all have the same user with the same UID/GIDs and the storage correctly assigned, you'll find the applications will be able to share the data with read/write privileges.

Hi m0nkey_ thanks for your reply.
I have just done another all nighter and this time had a "little" more success but I am still having problems.

The problem I am having now is that plex will not download any meta data and transmission will not store my user settings (download path etc..)

Both jails defiantly have internet access, as i said earlier transmission is now downloading stuff. And also got ping working after enabling allow_raw_sockets

Hopefully it is something simple I have missed because I am so tired, but would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Last edited:

treboR2Robert

Dabbler
I fixed the problem with plex not getting metadata by enabling vnet inside the jail.

Still having the problem with transmission not saving user settings after jail restart, but i suppose i can live with this for now.

Thanks for your help @m0nkey_ & @fracai

diskdiddler

Wizard
I wish I knew a bit more, if I knew freenas support paid this much, well........... damn!

fracai

Guru
Still having the problem with transmission not saving user settings after jail restart, but i suppose i can live with this for now.
Do you mean that you make changes to the Transmission configuration within the web gui, they take effect, you restart the jail, Transmission is back to previous behavior?
Even if they just never take effect, that sounds like more permission issues. Were you able to resolve the downloading behavior using the setfacl command I suggested? You may be able to do something similar with wherever Transmission stores its configuration files. I think I remember that you brought those in to the jail as a mountpoint.

If you're making changes to the configuration file while Transmission is running, they'll be overwritten when Transmission stops.

Windows ACLs are certainly a gap in my knowledge. On my system I'd just remove them and use basic permissions, but I'm not sure if Windows needs those for some purpose.

treboR2Robert

Dabbler
Sorry @fracai I didn't get an alert that you had replied.

The transmission thing is really weird, if i change "number of peers per torrent" and other settings in the gui and then restart the jail the settings are saved when the jail restarts.

However the "download location" will NEVER save after a jail restart. It always get set back to default.

I had kind of given up on that anyway but tonight noticed that my plex server is being recognized as a remote server instead of a local server on all my clients at home.

Some how I ended up trying to "pkg upgrade" transmission which would not work because it couldn't chmod something. That turned out to be because of ACL. Once I removed all ACL's from that mount it updated fine.

But it still will NOT save the download location path after a jail restart. (I'm not that bothered as I hardly ever restart it anyway)

What is annoying me atm though is all my plex clients at home on the same network as the server think that the server is a remote server and so keep transcoding when there is no need.
I am using vnet and I read somewhere about plex ignoring all network interfaces beginning with V which a few people seemed to have a problem with but freenas made a workaround for this and changed the interface name in a jail from vnet to epair in 11.1 u5 (i think) and when i type ifconfig inside the jail mine seems to be called epair0b.
I have tried everything i could think of and everything i could find online including removing the ACL list from the the mounted plexdata-plexpass folder too.
Nothing works though and it still thinks its a remote server.

Any ideas ?

fracai

Guru
What is annoying me atm though is all my plex clients at home on the same network as the server think that the server is a remote server and so keep transcoding when there is no need.
I am using vnet and I read somewhere about plex ignoring all network interfaces beginning with V which a few people seemed to have a problem with but freenas made a workaround for this and changed the interface name in a jail from vnet to epair in 11.1 u5 (i think) and when i type ifconfig inside the jail mine seems to be called epair0b.
Thanks for that reminder, this possibly explains an issue I've been seeing in my own Plex jail. Thanks for the reminder.

I have tried everything i could think of and everything i could find online including removing the ACL list from the the mounted plexdata-plexpass folder too.
Nothing works though and it still thinks its a remote server.

Any ideas ?
Like I said, I'm experiencing the same issue. I've seen reports that it could be due to how your router handles DNS. Plex wants to protect connections via SSL and uses DNS rebinding to do so on your local network. Some routers defeat this as a security measure. Some can be configured to allow Plex to rebind anyway. Sometimes changing your DNS server resolves things as well. What I've noticed is that accessing the jail via direct IP seems to get me the local connection. Accessing via a hostname gets me remote. I haven't expended enough energy here to resolve it completely, but try changing your DNS server or looking in to what rebinding settings you have on your router. DNS rebinding is a valid security concern, so you want to be careful about opening that up too wide.

treboR2Robert

Dabbler
I think I've actually seen the download location issue before. If I recall, you may need to set that variable in the RC configuration. Ah, here's the forum page that I remember: http://zfsguru.com/forum/zfsgurusupport/512

Worked straight away :D Thank You !!!
I don't remember having to do that on FreeNAS 9.10 :confused:

Thanks for that reminder, this possibly explains an issue I've been seeing in my own Plex jail. Thanks for the reminder.

Like I said, I'm experiencing the same issue. I've seen reports that it could be due to how your router handles DNS. Plex wants to protect connections via SSL and uses DNS rebinding to do so on your local network. Some routers defeat this as a security measure. Some can be configured to allow Plex to rebind anyway. Sometimes changing your DNS server resolves things as well. What I've noticed is that accessing the jail via direct IP seems to get me the local connection. Accessing via a hostname gets me remote. I haven't expended enough energy here to resolve it completely, but try changing your DNS server or looking in to what rebinding settings you have on your router. DNS rebinding is a valid security concern, so you want to be careful about opening that up too wide.

It "looks" like it was an issue with the clients rather than the server :rolleyes:, I'm hoping it will be OK now.

I did read into that DNS rebinding thing before I posted here, hopefully I don't have an issue with that because it sounds COMPLICATED !

Thanks for your help again @fracai. It is appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.