NIC Configuration guidance needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Struggling to configure my home-lab setup and hoping to get some guidance if possible. My configuration is a 3 server setup, 2 Windows based machines and my FreeNAS box. I have all three connected via SFP+ with a single port 10g card in each windows machine and a dual port in my FreeNAS. No matter how I configure the 10g nics in FreeNAS it always shows media status as no carrier. I have tested all cards and cables in various machines and they all work but just not in this configuration.

Server1 = 10.10.10.1
FreeNAS 10g port 1 = 10.10.10.2

Server2 = 10.10.20.1
FreeNAS 10g port 2 = 10.10.20.2

I originally wanted both 10g interfaces on FreeNAS in the same subnet because i wanted both windows servers to be able to communicate using FreeNAS as the "go between" to pass the traffic (have had it working on 3 windows based machines so i know it is sort of possible) but in researching I found that FreeNAS does not allow two separate interfaces to be on the same subnet.

any suggestions or guidance is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zredwire

Explorer
Are you sure your Network Cards are supported in FreeNAS? What cards do you have? As far as connecting all three computers, I am new to FreeNAS but I see where it has a tab for Static Routes, thus I would assume you could use that to get all the machines talking (though they will still be in different broadcast domains).

Last edited by a moderator:
The dual port card in my FreeNAS is Cisco Broadcom UCSC-PCIE-BSFP 57712 Dual Port 10GbE SFP and the broadcom chipset shows on the support HCL for FreeBSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.