NFS v4.1 & LACP vs iSCSI & multipath

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbaror

Contributor
Hello All,

I am about to build new Xenserver platform based on common storage which will be FreeNAS powered.
The storage spec will be as follows:
Disk: 400 500 TBytes space available,
Memory: 512GB
Network 4x10G nic
Storage will serve around 10~15 Hypervisor xen hosts, each host will have also 4x10G network cards.
My question regarding connectivity Host to Storage planing , according to experience and recent versions of both Xenserver and FreeNAS, is it better to go with NFS v4.1 using pNFS and LACP or iSCSI with Multipath, in terms throughput redundancy wise?

Please advise

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Mlovelace

Guru
FreeNAS supports NFS v4 not v4.1 so your plans for parallel access NFS aren't going to work out.

Mlovelace

Guru
:-( , is there any plan to implement it in the near future ?
Thanks
Looks like pNFS was in alpha testing for freeBSD back in April 2016, so I wouldn't expect it to show up any time soon. Best to develop a storage network plan that does not include pNFS with freeNAS.

D

dlavigne

I dug a bit deeper and got this reply: It's not in upstream FreeBSD yet but we could bring patches in as developer resources allow.

Mlovelace

Guru
I dug a bit deeper and got this reply: It's not in upstream FreeBSD yet but we could bring patches in as developer resources allow.
Looks like pNFS was in alpha testing for freeBSD back in April 2016, so I wouldn't expect it to show up any time soon. Best to develop a storage network plan that does not include pNFS with freeNAS. ;)

There was a thread awhile back about it not being supported in 10.3 so it won't show up in FN till it's in upstream freeBSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.