nextcoud chart, nextcloud VM or nextcloud docker...

derWalter

Explorer
thx for answering back so quickly @ornias

explained on discord -> whats happening there? which channel (link pls! so I can read into it :) )

broken... uff, gladly I am not on nightlies :P

can you foresee if there is anything happening regarding to NC with 21.06?
If not, am I right, that you can add it also anytime later on, trough truecharts?

Still willing to help, but time is a limiting factor :P

ornias

Wizard
explained on discord -> whats happening there? which channel (link pls! so I can read into it :) )
All our community resources are available at our website: https://truecharts.org

broken... uff, gladly I am not on nightlies :P
Yeah, people should really be more carefull before they start using nightlies, glad you did :)

can you foresee if there is anything happening regarding to NC with 21.06?
If not, am I right, that you can add it also anytime later on, trough truecharts?

Still willing to help, but time is a limiting factor :P
TrueCharts is not (necessarily) limited by the TrueNAS roadmap, so yes: We can add and/or remove Apps as we see fit outside of the TrueNAS roadmap :)

derWalter

Explorer
Just had a quick look into 21.06 and tried NC again, I was surprised that some changes made it into 21.06 there
and wanted to thank, who ever did it :)

the host path feature is quite helpful.

I just wonder, why the data path was left blank, newbies wont know that the have to put "/srv/nextcloud/data" as pod path,
maybe this could be pre-filled, kind of "if you dont know what it is, let it unchanged" or something like that?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Just had a quick look into 21.06 and tried NC again, I was surprised that some changes made it into 21.06 there
and wanted to thank, who ever did it :)

the host path feature is quite helpful.

I just wonder, why the data path was left blank, newbies wont know that the have to put "/srv/nextcloud/data" as pod path,
maybe this could be pre-filled, kind of "if you dont know what it is, let it unchanged" or something like that?
Sometimes defaults cause problems... for example, there are two Nextcloud instances on the same node.

DaSnipe

Explorer
I agree on the default path, I wanted to move the data folder out of the pod and had to put both paths to the directory, took me a while before I figured it out. I thought I could leave the host path to default and just move the data, but had to change both the host path and the data directory or NextCloud couldn't write anything to the config folders, as seen below. I'm still new to this but at least it's working.
1624828741680.png

derWalter

Explorer
as far as I understood (1) "Nextcloud data directory" is the path inside the pod and (2)"host path for Nextcloud data Volume" is the path on the TrueNas SCALE system.

whatever path you configure at (1),
it will mount the content of (2) into (1).
Nextcloud will be configured to look for the data
at the address (1), the data itself will be stored outside of the NextCloud pod
at the TrueNas path (2)

Please guys, correct me if I am wrong.

ornias

Wizard
@derWalter The first somewhat stable release of the TrueCharts Nextcloud App with Ingress support has been merged into the "stable" train of TrueCharts :)

derWalter

Explorer
Hey @ornias nice to read about it. by now I have managed to set up the standard NC, but facing a lot of hickups with it (the worst of all: 100% cpu on all cores+200mb/s read HDD -> files are visible in the NC ui, but arent getting synced... if I disable the Client, CPU and HDD usage drops to idle).

lets start testing then, I am very eager to know, what would be the best way to switch? and is there a possibility to keep my old installation in place, so I could fall back?

(I guess so by using the same data directory but only starting one instance at a time?)

ornias

Wizard
Hey @ornias nice to read about it. by now I have managed to set up the standard NC, but facing a lot of hickups with it (the worst of all: 100% cpu on all cores+200mb/s read HDD -> files are visible in the NC ui, but arent getting synced... if I disable the Client, CPU and HDD usage drops to idle).
With TrueCharts by default it's impossible for a container to do that, all containers have resource limits out-of-the-box which prevent one App from tanking 100% CPU unless you give it a higher resource limit.

lets start testing then, I am very eager to know, what would be the best way to switch? and is there a possibility to keep my old installation in place, so I could fall back?

(I guess so by using the same data directory but only starting one instance at a time?)
I'm not going to help you with that, because we cannot give you any guarantees and some of our solutions may/are not copy-paste compatible with the iX Official App. Technically it should be possible, but I'm not also not going to allow bugreports/support requests for it either. Nextcloud is a picky beast at times, with some weird behavior. I cannot help you with it because I honestly have no idea what problems you might encounter.

derWalter

Explorer
With TrueCharts by default it's impossible for a container to do that, all containers have resource limits out-of-the-box which prevent one App from tanking 100% CPU unless you give it a higher resource limit.

I'm not going to help you with that, because we cannot give you any guarantees and some of our solutions may/are not copy-paste compatible with the iX Official App. Technically it should be possible, but I'm not also not going to allow bugreports/support requests for it either. Nextcloud is a picky beast at times, with some weird behavior. I cannot help you with it because I honestly have no idea what problems you might encounter.
fair enough :D it will be a side by side installation then :)

DaSnipe

Explorer
Anyone getting the cron job to work with offical NextCloud charts version

1625796766919.png

Trying to use the webgui cron jobs to run the NextCloud cron job

1625796665170.png

php -f /mnt/Storage/Storage/Cloud/html/cron.php scheduled for 1 hour intervals

But getting this error

1625796703613.png

Error: [EFAULT] CronTask "php -f /mnt/Storage/Storage/Cloud/html/cron.php" exited with 127 (non-zero) exit status.

I'm assuming I need to put the full path to php, but dunno how to find the location of php for the container

Thanks in advance

SnoppyFloppy

Explorer
fair enough :D it will be a side by side installation then :)

Nextcloud has this & this 'official' migration guide. I assume these would also work in a container-to-container migration as long as you can exec into both of the db containers and both of the NC containers.

ornias

Wizard
Anyone getting the cron job to work with offical NextCloud charts version

View attachment 48204

Trying to use the webgui cron jobs to run the NextCloud cron job

View attachment 48202

php -f /mnt/Storage/Storage/Cloud/html/cron.php scheduled for 1 hour intervals

But getting this error

View attachment 48203

Error: [EFAULT] CronTask "php -f /mnt/Storage/Storage/Cloud/html/cron.php" exited with 127 (non-zero) exit status.

I'm assuming I need to put the full path to php, but dunno how to find the location of php for the container

Thanks in advance
Without a shit ton more information no one is going to be able to provide any help at all.
You don't even post the precise setup for your Cronjob.

I think for most users that want a cronjob, the TrueCharts Nextcloud App is a much beter solution...

ornias

Wizard
Nextcloud has this & this 'official' migration guide. I assume these would also work in a container-to-container migration as long as you can exec into both of the db containers and both of the NC containers.
No, it is not that easy. A good reason not to provide advice for systems you're personally not familiar with.
The config is in-part automatically generated, if you follow their migration path your are 99% sure to brick our App.

The TrueCharts App is also still in its early days and there are bugs, when people start DIY'ing, I can almost guarantee things will break and we will not be able to help you and your bugreports would also be completely unusable.

SnoppyFloppy

Explorer
The config is in-part automatically generated, if you follow their migration path your are 99% sure to brick our App.
Okay fair enough. But what about the data and the db, could these be migrated as outlined by Nextcloud?

DaSnipe

Explorer
Without a **** ton more information no one is going to be able to provide any help at all.
You don't even post the precise setup for your Cronjob.

I think for most users that want a cronjob, the TrueCharts Nextcloud App is a much beter solution...

Sorry I was just trying to use the default setting in Nextcloud, as per their instructions here

I figured I could add the cron job through the WebGUI inside TrueNas

*/5 * * * * php -f /var/www/nextcloud/cron.php

Since my Nextcloud was installed to /Storage/Storage/Cloud/

But maybe I'll use the TrueCharts version like you suggested, worked good for my Jellyfin and Transmission installs. I'll see if that works better. Thanks!

ornias

Wizard
Sorry I was just trying to use the default setting in Nextcloud, as per their instructions here

I figured I could add the cron job through the WebGUI inside TrueNas

*/5 * * * * php -f /var/www/nextcloud/cron.php
Wait, you are adding a cron job on the host system?

I think you are creating a cronjob on the host, not a K8S cronjob container... At the very least (if you use the nextcloud included PHP) that is going to cause issues in the future. You need to use the Nextcloud container to execute the cronjob, if you want to be somewhat sure it keeps working...