nextcoud chart, nextcloud VM or nextcloud docker...

leckyBill

Dabbler
I want to try nextcloud features with my nas and in the end might just use syncthing or something, but that's not the topic here...
I thought I could just quickly deploy the nextcloud App from the official chart catalog, but there are no notes or docs and just going with defaults doesn't work.
It deploys but the default host is set to 0.0.0.0 and when I hit the portal button the browser tries to reach http://0.0.0.0:9001 which it can't. I tried to deploy again with the host IP and again it starts but the IP is not reachable. I've looked around the net and found nobody describing how to get this to work of actually showing the nextcloud App working.
In the logs for the nextcloud app I see this, which maybe the reason I can't reach the http UI on 9001...
Code:
AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 172.16.0.64. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message

I thought about importing the nextcloud VM, but that is not a simple task.
Next I am looking at trying to use the nextcloud docker.
Anybody else had success getting nextcloud running on SCALE? how did you do it?

ornias

Wizard
You do realise you are running an ALPHA or Nightly right? That means there may be thing that aren't working because they are simply currently broken. That (often) also means you can't expect any documentation at all.

0.0.0.0 should be 'accept any', but either that or the hostip should work.
If the IP is unreachable, it's very likely thats due to networking or other issues.

Maybe you found no info, because you run an ALPHA or Nightly of something that isn't released yet? ;-)
However: the defaults should (tm) be solid enough to be deployed for the Official Nextcloud App. (if it isn't broken that is)

That error however: should/can be ignored completely for now.
It's pretty usual (even outside of SCALE Apps) and doesn't hurt anything for nextcloud itself.

I run Nextcloud on SCALE using Docker-Compose, mostly because mixing an matching docker-compose and SCALE containers/apps aren't a great thing. My explaination how to do this unsupported(!) things (docker-compose), is available in a lot of places on the forum.

X3n0n

Dabbler
I want to try nextcloud features with my nas and in the end might just use syncthing or something, but that's not the topic here...
I thought I could just quickly deploy the nextcloud App from the official chart catalog, but there are no notes or docs and just going with defaults doesn't work.
It deploys but the default host is set to 0.0.0.0 and when I hit the portal button the browser tries to reach http://0.0.0.0:9001 which it can't. I tried to deploy again with the host IP and again it starts but the IP is not reachable. I've looked around the net and found nobody describing how to get this to work of actually showing the nextcloud App working.
In the logs for the nextcloud app I see this, which maybe the reason I can't reach the http UI on 9001...
Code:
AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 172.16.0.64. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message

I thought about importing the nextcloud VM, but that is not a simple task.
Next I am looking at trying to use the nextcloud docker.
Anybody else had success getting nextcloud running on SCALE? how did you do it?

Using host IP works fine here you may have another issue preventing this to work correctly.

leckyBill

Dabbler
Did you use ClusterIP or NodePort in networking?
Neither explicitly... There is no networking section in the install ui for the nextcloud chart. nextcloud host was 0.0.0.0 and I tried a second time with an actual IP, didn't change anything else, assumed that the defaults would have been ok.
1621281593312.png

derWalter

Explorer
Nextcloud is not really functional right now, besides the host IP thing, there is no way of mounting your data in a solid way into it right now. The official docker would work, but if you arent experienced with that and just want it to work, your next thing is to wait for 21.06 ... Like many (need to) do...

Like ornias said twice or so ... Its not rdy yet and still in testing and preview mode.

As it is not an community driven opensource, free software project anymore, it is focused on the features companies need first, as, in the end, it is a product for profit (yeah you can use it extensively for free, but that doesn't being money to the owners)... So unprofessional small SCALE users and their needs are, sadly understandably, way behind on the roadmap... So have a cup of tea and hope that standard, standalone, small home nas features will one day work out of the box, without tinkering and hacking and ultimately even survive upgrades CHEERS!

derWalter

Explorer
sry, I didn't want to play down your work @ornias but what he is talking about is kinda out of the communities realm ... or someone would port a community NextCloud edition into truecharts :D

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Nextcloud is something we'd like to put some more work into in the coming months... 21.06 is top priority right now.

derWalter

Explorer
Nextcloud is something we'd like to put some more work into in the coming months... 21.06 is top priority right now.
totally understandable, but nice to hear that its somewhere on the roadmap. I guess its not even so much work for guys like you, as it is not a lot which is missing to make it working out of the box :) (user/group sync is still a topic tough where I've read that you are walking away from SCALE as a LDAP etc. server, so I wonder how this could be realized)
if you could add a lilttle bit of code to this project: https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/files_snapshots so that it doesnt only read, but also make zfs snapshots would be awesome!

@leckyBill did you already get it running?

ornias

Wizard
totally understandable, but nice to hear that its somewhere on the roadmap. I guess its not even so much work for guys like you, as it is not a lot which is missing to make it working out of the box :)
It pains me to say, but the amount of work is not directly related to the difficulty of the changes :P
I just spend a weekend with @StavrosMadK moving a few dicts around in the GUI :')

user/group sync is still a topic tough where I've read that you are walking away from SCALE as a LDAP etc. server, so I wonder how this could be realized
Afaik that was never officially a thing. Unless you can point me where it is.
That being said: Setting up a k8s LDAP server is trivial.
(and yes, it's on my todo list for TrueCharts as I personally need it, no worries)

if you could add a lilttle bit of code to this project: https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/files_snapshots so that it doesnt only read, but also make zfs snapshots would be awesome!
Containers and VM's don't have access to the host snapshots for mounted folders, so there is no use for iX doing this.

ornias

Wizard
@derWalter
If you can add a list of issues you find missing on nextcloud to this thread I'll take a look at it soon (TM) and try to port the bastard to TrueCharts before 21.06

derWalter

Explorer
lets get to it, I start from scratch with a new install and try to be as luser as possible.

Application Name * --> those problems with capital letters, I ve posted in jira
Version * --> nothing to change here (why is there even a dropdown box?)
Nextcloud host either 0.0.0.0 works as an asterisk or an actual working ip should be put here, I had trouble for the first two setups to realize this problem.
Username * --
Password * --
Nextcloud data directory * --> a CLEAR description or a different name should be chosen: what am I defining here?
Node Port to use for Nextcloud * --> should maybe marked/be hidden as an "advanced" option? newbs and lusers dont need this :P
Nextcloud Data Volume [ ] Enable Host Path for Nextcloud Data Volume --> mostly mixed up with Nextcloud data directory ... those two need better differentiation!! by name, by always visible description, many people fail here from what I see in youtube videos and from reading comments, just calling it not working.

what is needed here: being able to use EVERY present dataset

what would be even better: being able to add more then one directory which than show up inside of Nextcloud, in my case LIVE data and ARCHIVE data folders. access then can be managed inside of Nextcloud.
I dont know if it is possible, but if the SCALE home folder for the users could also be the home folder of the Nextcloud users, would be PERFECT, so no matter how I connect to the NAS, I always start/end up in the same folder/location. That would be a clean result and what is what I would like to have and try to achieve.

Update Strategy - Kill existing pods before creating new ones --> a small description whats going on here would be nice for newbs/lusers, or just again, maybe hide it under an advanced spoiler?

Normally this worked without any problems, but this time, when I click on portal, I get:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator if this error reappears multiple times, please include the technical details below in your report.
More details can be found in the server log.

(this is vanilla SCALE, only with two datasets, nothing else done so far)

re-deleting and re-setup didn't work, so I rebooted, now the UI doesnt show me any "available apps", the catalog or installed apps section shows only the blue circle of death, loading forever,... o_O? OOPS!

But I remember that the SMB plugin was not installed by default, without any docker knowledge its impossible to get it running.
The SMB plugin would be an easy way of adding additional shares, if they cant be mounted at filesystem level.

An other neat addition would be to get the files_snapshots working, even so that it can create and delete snapshots, just as the NC versions plugin, or merge it, or link em, or what ever solution would fit...

I didn't get collabora to work, its sad that it isnt just a click away from working out of the box :/

as I somehow crashed my installation with my little trial and being away till next week, I am sorry to have you waiting till then. Maybe some one else can step in, in the meantime.

Last edited:

stavros-k

Patron
I didn't get collabora to work, its sad that it isnt just a click away from working out of the box :/

Collabora defaults, is defined to work with a domain name, and ssl. There is some weirdiness (like the slashes before each dot on domain, but this is collabora's weirdiness, not truenas/truecharts)
It defaults to ssl with a domain name, because its a collaboration tool, and 99,99% will be used exposed to internet.
I haven't tried with nextcloud installed on truenas, but nextcloud on another machine can connect and use it without problems.

ornias

Wizard
Application Name * --> those problems with capital letters, I ve posted in jira

Because k8s doesn't accept names with capitals everywhere to begin with. With at TrueCharts don't support it either.

Version * --> nothing to change here (why is there even a dropdown box?)
These are not container versions, but the version of the App itself. A dropdown is the cleanest solution, as there are a limited number of versions available anyway.

Nextcloud host either 0.0.0.0 works as an asterisk or an actual working ip should be put here, I had trouble for the first two setups to realize this problem.
I'm not sure how I would implement this differently for TrueCharts tbh. As i'm not sure the UI has the feature to fetch some of this info as of yet, though I did discuss this before with iX devs and it is within their view. But the to-do list is quite long

Nextcloud data directory * --> a CLEAR description or a different name should be chosen: what am I defining here?
Click little questionmark behind it ;-)
That being said, it's not clear that this is a path inside the container and i'm also not sure WHY FFS this should be changable by the user anyway. Just default by place it outside of the nextcloud config folder and have an option for the user to select a path on the host system instead.

Node Port to use for Nextcloud * --> should maybe marked/be hidden as an "advanced" option? newbs and lusers dont need this :P
Uhmm, I don't find "pick you own port" an advanced feature.
With TrueCharts we even offer multiple different kinds of services (ClusterIP, NodePort and Loadbalancer), so this will not be simplified for the TrueCharts version.

Nextcloud Data Volume [ ] Enable Host Path for Nextcloud Data Volume --> mostly mixed up with Nextcloud data directory ... those two need better differentiation!!
No, the devs should nuke that whole data directory thing, give it a sane default and it's own hostPath option. It shouldn't mater where in the container the data is stored for the end-user. (see above)

by name, by always visible description, many people fail here from what I see in youtube videos and from reading comments, just calling it not working.
Yes, this has been something i've been reworking on TrueCharts as well.
How I designed it is:
- 2 differnet storage systems: One managed by TrueNAS (based on PVC). One to add additional mountpoints for all data the user wants to mount from host to container (docker style)

what is needed here: being able to use EVERY present dataset
You don't mount datasets, you mount hostPaths. Thats not even limited to datasets to begin with. However: It is limited to /mnt.
Why? Because hostpath mounts have SEVERE security implications within k8s, with a little bit of bad luck you can excape the container using them.

what would be even better: being able to add more then one directory which than show up inside of Nextcloud, in my case LIVE data and ARCHIVE data folders. access then can be managed inside of Nextcloud.
A bit like how TrueCharts already gives an " unlimited storage" option I think?

I dont know if it is possible, but if the SCALE home folder for the users could also be the home folder of the Nextcloud users, would be PERFECT, so no matter how I connect to the NAS, I always start/end up in the same folder/location. That would be a clean result and what is what I would like to have and try to achieve.
This is already possible. You just need to select your nextcloud home folder when creating the user.
With something like TrueCharts our unlimited mountpoints one could also ofc create unlimited mounts to userfolders too.

Update Strategy - Kill existing pods before creating new ones --> a small description whats going on here would be nice for newbs/lusers, or just again, maybe hide it under an advanced spoiler?
Sorry, but it's still k8s. At TrueCharts we experimented with abstracting more things aware from the user and it only lead to more confusion form users in the long run.
For TrueCharts we are even exposing MORE k8s native features. With the argument: "Don't know? Don't change!"

Normally this worked without any problems, but this time, when I click on portal, I get:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator if this error reappears multiple times, please include the technical details below in your report.
More details can be found in the server log.

(this is vanilla SCALE, only with two datasets, nothing else done so far)
THis is most likely the docker container or DB fucking up, most likely the later.

re-deleting and re-setup didn't work, so I rebooted, now the UI doesnt show me any "available apps", the catalog or installed apps section shows only the blue circle of death, loading forever,... o_O? OOPS!
Not likely to be related at all.

But I remember that the SMB plugin was not installed by default, without any docker knowledge its impossible to get it running.
The SMB plugin would be an easy way of adding additional shares, if they cant be mounted at filesystem level.
I agree here, when setting up a nextcloud App we should ensure we at least fetch all the dependencies people might want. Yes it would become a bigger App, but at least we don't force people to start hacking.

An other neat addition would be to get the files_snapshots working, even so that it can create and delete snapshots, just as the NC versions plugin, or merge it, or link em, or what ever solution would fit...
Can't be done. Period.
Containers have no access to host ZFS and giving it would be a huge security breach.

It should work, as we have no reported bugs in our github issue list. If you have one, file one.

as I somehow crashed my installation with my little trial and being away till next week, I am sorry to have you waiting till then. Maybe some one else can step in, in the meantime.
Don't be sorry, everyone of us does this in their spare time (except iX employees... though even some of them do so on their spare time at times)

derWalter

Explorer
so... last time it was late ... today I took a look into the logs, found out that the new installation is looking for an user named after me, which doesnt exist.... how on earth? .. DING! I am using the host path data directory, which, ofc contains my old configs from the install I wiped ...

so, without a specific host path, everything works, scale even shows me the menus correctly and I could also re-add truecharts,
seems that scale just had a bad evening last time, without me doing anything, everything works now.

So having it running again, the main problem is to get my data accessible by and trough NextCloud.
As I said, the most perfect thing would be to have /mnt/ accessible in the first place,
the next step would be that NC uses the SCALE home folders for the individual users, so they always see the same folderstructure, no matter if they connect trough SMB or use NC
the next step would be a pre-setup solution for the user credentials. so all SCALE users and groups would be available inside of NC as well, just set/import your ACLs and off you go.

the ultimate dream would be: enabling NC, downloading the sync client, done (okay, we leave domains, dyn dns and networking in general aside at this point :P maybe there will be an easy and competitive solution for this as well, later on) users can connect to their homedir trough nextcloud, without anyone ever doing anything else but hitting the install button in the catalog overview. if some one needs more specifics, they could still set it up, as they like. but the "all in one working out of the box" solution would be the optimum for lusers and beginners, who just need a minimal setup working, without any hacking and configuration to do.

So, that was, what I understood as my part @ornias , did I get it correctly, or did you expect something else, please tell me :)

ornias

Wizard
@derWalter Currently, as explained on discord, we're working on actually getting SCALE working again after it was broken last week.