Nextcloud Certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejv

Dabbler
I just installed freenas 11 together with nextcloud plugin

then created CA and a certificate and copied the certificate to
" /mnt/Live/jails/nextcloud_1/usr/pbi/nextcloud-amd64/etc/apache24 "

After a reboot of freenas I am getting the below message (I know that it will give a similar error to the below if the certificate is not a bought from a trusted site) my question is if I install the CA on my browser will the data be encrypted ?

upload_2017-6-27_21-8-33.png

danb35

Hall of Famer
if I install the CA on my browser will the data be encrypted ?
The data will be encrypted whether or not you install the CA, as long as you're using HTTPS (which you are in the screen shot you gave).

dejv

Dabbler
The data will be encrypted whether or not you install the CA, as long as you're using HTTPS (which you are in the screen shot you gave).

so basically the Certificate is just there to remove the error when logging in through the browser ?

ZodiacUHD

Patron
so basically the Certificate is just there to remove the error when logging in through the browser ?

A self signed certificate is just fine for the use you probably will need. The error you're seeing, beeing your certificate "self signed", is due to the fact that your identity cannot be verified. It still offers encryption but browsers will warn all visitors that the certificate offers no "authentication". If you want to get a signed certificate without spending any money, let's encrypt is an open project and it's free. https://letsencrypt.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.