Nextcloud 20 help with HEIC support via Imagick7

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@nikinp You did successfully reinstall the ImageMagick6-nox11 package? You can check in the file /var/db/ports/graphics_ImageMagick6/options (yes, without "-nox11" this time) if you really enabled HEIC in the beginning. There should be a line reading OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=HEIF in there.
You can double check with convert -list format | grep HEIC.

nikinp

Contributor
@nikinp You did successfully reinstall the ImageMagick6-nox11 package? You can check in the file /var/db/ports/graphics_ImageMagick6/options (yes, without "-nox11" this time) if you really enabled HEIC in the beginning. There should be a line reading OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=HEIF in there.
You can double check with convert -list format | grep HEIC.
There is no such folder as /var/db/ports/graphics_ImageMagick6/ only /var/db/ports/graphics_ImageMagick6-nox11 and in that folder there is that line in the Options file. Also the double check gives:
HEIC* HEIC rw- Apple High efficiency Image Format (1.10.0)

Did I do something wrong since the folder seems to be different?
I used this code:

mkdir -p /usr/ports
svnlite co https://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head /usr/ports
cd /usr/ports/graphics/ImageMagick6-nox11
make config
# enable HEIF
make -DBATCH
make deinstall reinstall
pkg lock ImageMagick6-nox11
pkg autoremove

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Looks good. Did you restart your jail?

nikinp

Contributor
Yes and the whole freenas

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Please check if pecl-imagick is installed. pkg info | grep imagick

nikinp

Contributor
that command returns:
php74-pecl-imagick-3.4.4_2 PHP wrapper to the ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library version 6

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Also good. So just possibly you would need ImageMagick7 for everything to work. I don't know, honestly. Anyone here who knows?

FloRho

Cadet
Hi,
thank you for this discussion. Based in this I was able to enable HEIC/HEIF support in my NextCloud jail. However I come over some problems, therefore I decided to write a short tutorial about this topic. Hopefully this helps some people.

Greetings,
Florian

invar

Dabbler
Nice write-up but very different to my own method! Assuming you have NextCloud setup already and a pre-existing ImageMagick version working:

1) From jail console, download ImageMagick source somewhere. I like to be in a workspace located in /root/src

Code:
fetch https://download.imagemagick.org/ImageMagick/download/ImageMagick-7.0.11-1.tar.xz

2) extract source
Code:
tar xvfz ImageMagick-7.0.11-1.tar.xz

3)
Code:
cd ImageMagick-7.0.11-1

4) configure
Code:
./configure --with-heic --enable-hdri=no --with-quantum-depth=8

(Note I disable HDRI and use QD 8 for speed. Supposedly QD 16 is a 33% slowdown in image generation. These are thumbnails so I don't think quality is important. Throw in whatever other switches you want. ./configure --help for a full list)

5) compile
Code:
make

Or if you have a multithreaded processor (I have a Ryzen 5 1600 AF which has 12 threads):
Code:
make -j 12

6) If make spits back compile errors like it did on mine regarding not knowing how to make certain PC files, you have to copy the files that are missing and weren't generated for some reason, then continue compiling. This should work as a workaround.
Code:
cp MagickCore/MagickCore.pc MagickCore/MagickCore-7.Q8.pc
cp MagickCore/ImageMagick.pc MagickCore/ImageMagick-7.Q8.pc
cp MagickWand/MagickWand.pc MagickWand/MagickWand-7.Q8.pc
cp Magick++/lib/Magick++.pc Magick++/lib/Magick++-7.Q8.pc
make

Note that the correct destination filename to copy to depends on the configure options to choose earlier. If you picked QD 16, it will be Q16 instead. And if you enable HDRI it will have HDRI in the filename. Pay attention to the error you received to figure this out.

7)
Code:
make install

8) verify ImageMagick installed and correct formats are listed:
Code:
convert --version

HEIC should be listed now
9) Go back to your workspace and download the php imagick extension source:
Code:
fetch http://pecl.php.net/get/imagick-3.4.4.tgz

10) extract
Code:
tar xvfz imagick-3.4.4.tgz

11)
Code:
cd imagick-3.4.4

12) install autoconf which is needed for next step:
Code:
pkg install autoconf

13) prepare php extension source for compiling:
Code:
phpize

14) configure
Code:
./configure

15) compile
Code:
make

Or if you have a multithreaded processor (I have a Ryzen 5 1600 AF which has 12 threads):

Code:
make -j 12

16) install
Code:
make install

17) verify extension is properly installed and being utilized:
Code:
php --ri imagick |less

HEIC should be there now.

18) restart php-fpm
Code:
service php-fpm restart

Something important to remember: if you are using NextCloud as a plugin, upgrading/updating the plugin afterwards will likely completely mess up all your changes because the plugin reinstalls the premade packages. For this reason, I migrated my NextCloud install into a basejail only.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Sorry, but why would you prefer to do a complete self compile without any support from the FreeBSD package system instead of using the FreeBSD port?

invar

Dabbler
I'm admittedly a novice for this type of stuff. Can you tell me what are the advantages of doing it the other way? In other words, what type of support do I get from it that I would actually need or use?

I did it the way I did because it's the method I'm familiar with in Linux and the flavor I started in the 90s was Slackware where *everything* was compiled by hand with no package manager or anything else.

After reading the write-up, I did try doing it the other way in a test jail, for the experience at least.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Well, this is FreeBSD. So you can work with the system or against. The FreeBSD ports system is how the packages are built. So if you have the packages in your jail installed via pkg install and the standard configuration, you are getting the quarterly branch that gets updated quarterly (surprise!) and only gets security updates inbetween. Which is a reasonable policy in my book.

So pkg is similar to apt or apt-get. The downside is - and this is no different from Linux - that you get the features the package maintainers decide to include and nothing more.

The beauty of the FreeBSD system is that the packages in the official repository are built using the same ports system as you can do in your own jail. So if you recompile only one port/package with different features compared to the standard FreeBSD repository, on your local system the installed port is still registered as a package with the local package management. And if you pkg lock the software you installed via ports, you can still pkg upgrade your jail and the package system will do the right thing.

If you have a couple of systems which all need one or more packages with special options you can even build them automatically with a tool called "poudriere" which lets you build your own FreeBSD package repository with all the tweaks you need in your environment.

The general FreeBSD philosophy is "infrastructure, not product" - which is different from most Linux distributions. You can build your own install medium from source with a single command and you can build your own packages if you like.

HTH
Patrick

invar

Dabbler
Hmm very informative. So if I had stuck with the Nextcloud plugin originally and built IM7 via ports with the HEIC support I needed, then pkg locked it along with the imagick PHP extension, then plugin updates would not have rebroken HEIC?

Thanks so much for the primer.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Sorry, I don't know zilch about the plugin upgrades. I don't use plugins. Jails in FreeNAS/TrueNAS are essentially lightweight FreeBSD virtual machines or containers if you want to call them that. The plugins are based on jails and technically the same.

The major point to ponder is which upstream project you decide to depend on.

If you use the plugin you get updates whenever the plugin maintainer decides to update the plugin. And the plugin update might or might not work in the first place.
If you create a base jail, then install all the necessary packages yourself or e.g. with a script like the one by @danb35, then you can do a pkg upgrade just like you do with any Linux distro and apt-get upgrade or whatever. Definitely more frequently and up to date than the TrueNAS plugin.
And if even that is not current enough for you, you are of course free to compile your own, but you lose quite a bit of support and convenience.

I being familiar and very much at home with FreeBSD regularly opt for the second alternative. Create standard jails in TrueNAS, then do my own package management in there.

invar

Dabbler
I was a complete novice to FreeNAS and FreeBSD so the concept of the FreeNAS plugin was very appealing to me for ease of setup. I setup Emby, Plex and Nextcloud using the plugins literally within a few hours after my first install of FreeNAS so that was great.

Last week, I migrated over my NextCloud setup and destroyed all the plugins and went to basejails instead after reading about the shortcomings that you mentioned.

So basically the only advantages for my first post above (manual compile and install) are:

-looking for bleeding edge latest version of ImageMagick (I don't really care about this I guess)

-less drive space consumed because the ports source takes up space. (I'm assuming after a compile and install via ports the source can just be deleted anyway, right?)

Thanks so much for the education on all this so far. Wondering now if I should remove the stuff I did above by hand and do it the proper way via ports or just leave it. Decisions decisions!

invar

Dabbler
Ended up undoing all my own manual changes and proceeding with compiling using ports. Also recompiled imagick PHP extension since there was now a mismatch. Everything working great again.

Thanks again!

Cyrilik

Cadet
Unfortunately the FreeBSD package of ImageMagick 7 is built without HEIF/HEIC support:

So you would need to install that one from ports. Log into your jail as root, then do:
Code:
mkdir -p /usr/ports
cd /usr/ports/graphics/ImageMagick7-nox11
make config
# enable HEIF
make -DBATCH
make deinstall reinstall
pkg lock ImageMagick7-nox11
pkg autoremove

Provided it is ImageMagick7-nox11 you installed for your Nextcloud installation. Adjust accordingly.

Pure magick! Greatly appreciated! Works like a charm...

TomComm

Cadet
Unfortunately the FreeBSD package of ImageMagick 7 is built without HEIF/HEIC support:

So you would need to install that one from ports. Log into your jail as root, then do:
Code:
mkdir -p /usr/ports
cd /usr/ports/graphics/ImageMagick7-nox11
make config
# enable HEIF
make -DBATCH
make deinstall reinstall
pkg lock ImageMagick7-nox11
pkg autoremove

Provided it is ImageMagick7-nox11 you installed for your Nextcloud installation. Adjust accordingly.

Hello Patrick M. Hausen,

I would have tried exactly according to your instructions.
Unfortunately, during the command: "make -DBATCH" I get an error message:

Code:
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for TeX specific libraries to build...
checking for pkg-config... pkgconf
checking for freetype-config... freetype-config
checking for icu-config... icu-config
configure: error: did not find harfbuzz-icu
===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
Please report the problem to tex@FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach the
"/usr/ports/print/texlive-base/work/texlive-20150521-source/config.log"
including the output of the failure of your make command. Also, it might be
a good idea to provide an overview of all packages installed on your system
(e.g. a /usr/local/sbin/pkg-static info -g -Ea).
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[6]: stopped in /usr/ports/print/texlive-base
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[5]: stopped in /usr/ports/print/texlive-texmf
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[4]: stopped in /usr/ports/print/tex-formats
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[3]: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/doxygen
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/py-breathe
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/graphics/openexr
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/graphics/ImageMagick7-nox11
root@nextcloud-jail:/usr/ports/graphics/ImageMagick7-nox11 # 

My system information:
TrueNAS-12.0-U6.1
Nextcloud: v.22.2.0
PHP v.7.4.24
mysql v.8.0.26

Can you help me?

Thanks,
FG Thomas

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

TomComm

Cadet
I had installed the package manually before and when I look up with "/ usr / local / sbin / pkg-static info -g -Ea" I also find it:
Code:
root@nextcloud-jail:/usr/ports/graphics/ImageMagick7-nox11 #  /usr/local/sbin/pkg-static info -g -Ea
ImageMagick7-nox11-7.1.0.13    Image processing tools
aom-3.1.3                      AV1 reference encoder/decoder
argp-standalone-1.3_4          Standalone version of arguments parsing functions from GLIBC
autoconf-2.69_3                Automatically configure source code on many Un*x platforms
autoconf-wrapper-20131203      Wrapper script for GNU autoconf
automake-1.16.4                GNU Standards-compliant Makefile generator
avahi-app-0.8                  Service discovery on a local network
bash-5.1.12                    GNU Project's Bourne Again SHell
binutils-2.37_2,1              GNU binary tools
bison-3.7.6,1                  Parser generator from FSF, (mostly) compatible with Yacc
boost-jam-1.72.0               Build tool from the boost.org
boost-libs-1.72.0_6            Free portable C++ libraries (without Boost.Python)
ca_root_nss-3.71               Root certificate bundle from the Mozilla Project
cairo-1.17.4,3                 Vector graphics library with cross-device output support
cmake-3.21.4_1                 Cross-platform Makefile generator
cups-2.3.3op2                  Common UNIX Printing System
curl-7.79.1                    Command line tool and library for transferring data with URLs
cyrus-sasl-2.1.27_2            RFC 2222 SASL (Simple Authentication and Security Layer)
dav1d-0.9.2                    Small and fast AV1 decoder
dbus-1.12.20_5                 Message bus system for inter-application communication
dbus-glib-0.112                GLib bindings for the D-BUS messaging system
dejavu-2.37_1                  Bitstream Vera Fonts clone with a wider range of characters
dialog4ports-0.1.6_1           Console Interface to configure ports
encodings-1.0.5,1              X.Org Encoding fonts
expat-2.4.1                    XML 1.0 parser written in C
ffmpeg-4.4_5,1                 Realtime audio/video encoder/converter and streaming server
fftw3-3.3.9_1                  Fast C routines to compute the Discrete Fourier Transform
font-bh-ttf-1.0.3_4            X.Org Bigelow & Holmes TTF font
font-misc-ethiopic-1.0.4       X.Org miscellaneous Ethiopic font
font-misc-meltho-1.0.3_4       X.Org miscellaneous Meltho font
fontconfig-2.13.94_1,1         XML-based font configuration API for X Windows
freetype2-2.11.0               Free and portable TrueType font rendering engine
fribidi-1.0.10                 Free Implementation of the Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm
gdbm-1.21                      GNU database manager
gdk-pixbuf2-2.40.0             Graphic library for GTK+
gettext-runtime-0.21           GNU gettext runtime libraries and programs
gettext-tools-0.21             GNU gettext development and translation tools
ghostscript9-agpl-base-9.52_19 PostScript and PDF interpreter
giflib-5.2.1                   Tools and library routines for working with GIF images
glib-2.70.0_1,2                Some useful routines of C programming (current stable version)
gmake-4.3_2                    GNU version of 'make' utility
gmp-6.2.1                      Free library for arbitrary precision arithmetic
gnome_subr-1.0                 Common startup and shutdown subroutines used by GNOME scripts
gnutls-3.6.16                  GNU Transport Layer Security library
gobject-introspection-1.70.0,1 Generate interface introspection data for GObject libraries
graphite2-1.3.14               Rendering capabilities for complex non-Roman writing systems
graphviz-2.44.1_17             Graph Visualization Software from AT&T and Bell Labs
groff-1.22.4_4                 Software typesetting package
gsfonts-8.11_8                 Standard Fonts for Ghostscript
harfbuzz-3.0.0                 OpenType text shaping engine
harfbuzz-icu-3.1.2             Harfbuzz ICU support
help2man-1.48.5                Automatically generating simple manual pages from program output
icu-70.1_1,1                   International Components for Unicode (from IBM)
indexinfo-0.3.1                Utility to regenerate the GNU info page index
jbig2dec-0.19                  Decoder implementation of the JBIG2 image compression format
jbigkit-2.1_1                  Lossless compression for bi-level images such as scanned pages, faxes
jpeg-turbo-2.1.1               SIMD-accelerated JPEG codec which replaces libjpeg
jsoncpp-1.9.5                  JSON reader and writer library for C++
lame-3.100_3                   Fast MP3 encoder kit
lcms2-2.12                     Accurate, fast, and small-footprint color management engine
libICE-1.0.10,1                Inter Client Exchange library for X11
libSM-1.2.3,1                  Session Management library for X11
libX11-1.7.2,1                 X11 library
libXau-1.0.9                   Authentication Protocol library for X11
libXaw-1.0.14,2                X Athena Widgets library
libXdmcp-1.1.3                 X Display Manager Control Protocol library
libXext-1.3.4,1                X11 Extension library
libXfixes-5.0.3_2              X Fixes extension library
libXft-2.3.3                   Client-sided font API for X applications
libXmu-1.1.3,1                 X Miscellaneous Utilities libraries
libXpm-3.5.13                  X Pixmap library
libXrender-0.9.10_2            X Render extension library
libXt-1.2.1,1                  X Toolkit library
libarchive-3.5.2,1             Library to create and read several streaming archive formats
libargon2-20190702             Memory hard password hashing program and library
libass-0.15.2                  Portable ASS/SSA subtitle renderer
libdaemon-0.14_1               Lightweight C library that eases the writing of UNIX daemons
libde265-1.0.2_5               Open source h.265 video codec
libdrm-2.4.107_1,1             Userspace interface to kernel Direct Rendering Module services
libedit-3.1.20210216,1         Command line editor library
libepoll-shim-0.0.20210418     Small epoll implementation using kqueue
libevent-2.1.12                API for executing callback functions on events or timeouts
libffi-3.3_1                   Foreign Function Interface
libfontenc-1.1.4               The fontenc Library
libgcrypt-1.9.4                General purpose cryptographic library based on the code from GnuPG
libgd-2.3.1,1                  Graphics library for fast creation of images
libglvnd-1.3.4                 GL Vendor-Neutral Dispatch library
libgpg-error-1.42              Common error values for all GnuPG components
libheif-1.10.0_4               ISO/IEC 23008-12:2017 HEIF file format de- and encoder
libiconv-1.16                  Character set conversion library
libidn-1.35                    Internationalized Domain Names command line tool
libidn2-2.3.2                  Implementation of IDNA2008 internationalized domain names
libinotify-20180201_2          Kevent based inotify compatible library
liblqr-1-0.4.2                 Easy to use C/C++ seam carving library
libltdl-2.4.6                  System independent dlopen wrapper
liblz4-1.9.3,1                 LZ4 compression library, lossless and very fast
libnghttp2-1.44.0              HTTP/2.0 C Library
libogg-1.3.5,4                 Ogg bitstream library
libpaper-1.1.24.4              Library providing routines for paper size management
libpciaccess-0.16              Generic PCI access library
libpotrace-1.16                Library for transforming bitmaps into vector graphics
libpthread-stubs-0.4           Weak aliases for pthread functions
librav1e-0.5.0                 Fast and safe AV1 encoder
libraw-0.20.2_1                Library for manipulating raw images
libssh2-1.9.0_3,3              Library implementing the SSH2 protocol
libtasn1-4.17.0                ASN.1 structure parser library
libtextstyle-0.21              Text styling library
libtheora-1.1.1_7              Theora video codec for the Ogg multimedia streaming system
libtool-2.4.6_1                Generic shared library support script
libudev-devd-0.5.0             libudev-compatible interface for devd
libunistring-0.9.10_1          Unicode string library
libunwind-20201110             Generic stack unwinding library
libuv-1.42.0                   Multi-platform support library with a focus on asynchronous I/O
libv4l-1.20.0_2                Video4Linux library
libva-2.13.0                   VAAPI wrapper and dummy driver
libvdpau-1.4                   VDPAU wrapper and tracing library
libvorbis-1.3.7_2,3            Audio compression codec library
libvpx-1.11.0                  VP8/VP9 reference encoder/decoder
libwmf-nox11-0.2.12            Tools and library for converting Microsoft WMF (windows metafile)
libx264-0.163.3060             H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Video Encoding (Library)
libxcb-1.14_1                  The X protocol C-language Binding (XCB) library
libxml2-2.9.12                 XML parser library for GNOME
libxslt-1.1.34_2               XML stylesheet transformation library
libzip-1.7.3                   C library for reading, creating, and modifying ZIP archives
m4-1.4.19,1                    GNU M4
meson-0.60.2                   High performance build system
mkfontscale-1.2.1              Creates an index of scalable font files for X
mpdecimal-2.5.1                C/C++ arbitrary precision decimal floating point libraries
mpfr-4.1.0_1                   Library for multiple-precision floating-point computations
mysql80-client-8.0.26          Multithreaded SQL database (client)
mysql80-server-8.0.27          Multithreaded SQL database (server)
nettle-3.7.3                   Low-level cryptographic library
nextcloud-php74-22.2.0         Personal cloud which runs on your own server
nginx-1.20.1_4,2               Robust and small WWW server
ninja-1.10.2,2                 Small build system closest in spirit to Make
nspr-4.32                      Platform-neutral API for system level and libc like functions
nss-3.72                       Libraries to support development of security-enabled applications
oniguruma-6.9.7.1              Regular expressions library compatible with POSIX/GNU/Perl
openjpeg-2.4.0                 Open-source JPEG 2000 codec
openjpeg15-1.5.2_1             Open-source JPEG 2000 codec
openldap24-client-2.4.59_2     Open source LDAP client implementation
opus-1.3.1                     IETF audio codec
p11-kit-0.24.0                 Library for loading and enumerating of PKCS#11 modules
p5-Locale-gettext-1.07         Message handling functions
p5-Locale-libintl-1.32         Internationalization library for Perl
p5-Text-Unidecode-1.30         US-ASCII transliterations of Unicode text
p5-Unicode-EastAsianWidth-12.0 East Asian Width properties
pango-1.48.7                   Open-source framework for the layout and rendering of i18n text
pciids-20210829                Database of all known IDs used in PCI devices
pcre-8.45                      Perl Compatible Regular Expressions library
pcre2-10.37                    Perl Compatible Regular Expressions library, version 2
perl5-5.32.1_1                 Practical Extraction and Report Language
php74-7.4.24                   PHP Scripting Language
php74-bcmath-7.4.24            The bcmath shared extension for php
php74-bz2-7.4.24               The bz2 shared extension for php
php74-ctype-7.4.24             The ctype shared extension for php
php74-curl-7.4.24              The curl shared extension for php
php74-dom-7.4.24               The dom shared extension for php
php74-exif-7.4.24              The exif shared extension for php
php74-fileinfo-7.4.24          The fileinfo shared extension for php
php74-filter-7.4.24            The filter shared extension for php
php74-gd-7.4.24                The gd shared extension for php
php74-gmp-7.4.24               The gmp shared extension for php
php74-iconv-7.4.24             The iconv shared extension for php
php74-intl-7.4.26              The intl shared extension for php
php74-json-7.4.24              The json shared extension for php
php74-ldap-7.4.24              The ldap shared extension for php
php74-mbstring-7.4.24          The mbstring shared extension for php
php74-opcache-7.4.24           The opcache shared extension for php
php74-openssl-7.4.24           The openssl shared extension for php
php74-pcntl-7.4.24             The pcntl shared extension for php
php74-pdo-7.4.24               The pdo shared extension for php
php74-pdo_mysql-7.4.24         The pdo_mysql shared extension for php
php74-pecl-APCu-5.1.20         APC User Caching
php74-pecl-imagick-im7-3.5.1_1 PHP wrapper to the ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library version 7
php74-pecl-redis-5.3.2         Extension to access Redis
php74-posix-7.4.24             The posix shared extension for php
php74-session-7.4.24           The session shared extension for php
php74-simplexml-7.4.24         The simplexml shared extension for php
php74-xml-7.4.24               The xml shared extension for php
php74-xmlreader-7.4.24         The xmlreader shared extension for php
php74-xmlwriter-7.4.24         The xmlwriter shared extension for php
php74-xsl-7.4.24               The xsl shared extension for php
php74-zip-7.4.24               The zip shared extension for php
php74-zlib-7.4.24              The zlib shared extension for php
pixman-0.40.0_1                Low-level pixel manipulation library
pkg-1.17.5                     Package manager
pkgconf-1.8.0,1                Utility to help to configure compiler and linker flags
png-1.6.37_1                   Library for manipulating PNG images
poppler-21.11.0                PDF rendering library
poppler-data-0.4.11            Poppler encoding data
protobuf-3.17.3,1              Data interchange format library
psutils-1.17_5                 Utilities for manipulating PostScript documents
py38-Babel-2.9.1               Collection of tools for internationalizing Python applications
py38-Jinja2-3.0.1              Fast and easy to use stand-alone template engine