Newbie, Setup, Performance, Safety

bacardi8

Explorer
Could you Guys explain a little to me regarding 10Gb/s.

From my internet provider here I get 1Gb/s (1000/1000) delivered in fiber optics. That's the highest possible in this country so far.
But as I can read around here, it seems that this speed is not what people talk about when they say it's very important to have 10Gb/s onboard,
or a 10Gb/s card to add in, so I'm a little confused regarding that.

How can I benefit from that, and how should it be connected/setup...??
is it the connection between Router and server that we are talking about..??

In my case I got the modem from my provider bridged so that I can use my own router.
Means that the connection from outside goes from provider modem to my router and then directly from my router to my server by cat6 cable.
(that's my current setup with an Synology Nas).

Etorix

Wizard
Such speeds are only useful between the NAS and clients which access large amounts of data.
So, if this is relevant for your case, you'd have a 10 GbE-capable router, 10 GbE NICs on the server and the bigger clients—but possibly only 1 GbE or N-BaseT on lesser clients.

Evertb1

Guru
is it the connection between Router and server that we are talking about..??
The role of the router in most home networks is to manage the traffic between the LAN (your home network) and the WAN the Wide Area Network. It allows the users on your home network to use the same internet connection. In a lot of situations the network starts wit a piece of equipment called a router that often has a build in switch (you can recognize that because it has multiple (4 or 6) connectors for RJ45 plugs . So it combines some functions. Internal it manages the two different networks (LAN and WAN). To make them even more versatile they often offer also WiFi for the LAN users.

So multiple functions that could have been in separate devices. In fact in the early days of the Internet a lot of people build their own router to share the internet connection on the home network with multiple users. For example with an old computer running software like Freesco. It was equipped with two NIC's to connect the LAN with the WAN. Those days are long gone for most people.

A 10 GB connection will not be into play with your Internet connection.10GB/s would only be in play for your LAN, your home network. So it happens behind the router. If you want your whole home network to be 10GB it will start with a 10 GB switch. Wil you benefit from 10 GB on your LAN? That's all about your use case. I think that for relatively simple home networks 10 GB is still a bit overdone. If you need that speed you can always make a 10 GB connection between a workstation and your TrueNAS server. Upgrading your whole network to 10 Gb takes some investments in equipment like switches, NIC's, cabling etc.

EDIT. Almost forgot: A router connected to the outside world with optics (with a fiber optics modem in between) or coax cable can also be used for triple play. Internet, television/radio and telephony. The router can be programmed/configured to split the different signals/networks. Pretty handy piece of equipment I would say.

Last edited:

bacardi8

Explorer
Thanks a lot for all your good explanations.
then I will not need a 10gb card as for now.

NugentS

MVP
Then - my takeaway from this is:
1. You don't need a GPU for transcoding - so the slot is free
2. You don't want 10Gb - so the slot is free
3. You don't need an HBA to start with as you have the M.2 and 7 remaining SATA

Your hardware spec seems good (after the switch to UDIMMs) and you have two potentially useful slots for later expansion should you wish

bacardi8

Explorer
Hi NugentS,

Yes I think so too,
it is still possible to upgrade later on, if this should be needed.
My parts is ordered, so I'm still waiting on to could continue.

So if anyone needs ECC RDIMM, I have :cool::cool:

bacardi8

Explorer
Hi Guys,

Merry Christmas

I was a little quiet for a while, due to waiting on parts, receiving wrong parts and so on, but finally I'm up running.

Hardware ended up as following :

Case : Fractal Design Define 7
MB : Asus WS C246M Pro/SE
CPU : Intel Xeon E-2288G
RAM : Samsung DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM (64GB)
PSU : Corsair HX750, 80+ Platinum
OS Drive : Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVME 250GB
Storage Drives : 4 x WD Red Plus 14TB
3 x WD Blue SSD 1TB
1 x Kingston SSD 480GB

All went good so far, I got Truenas Scale installed and hardware and system seems to run very smooth, fast and quiet.
I created 2 pools so far,
1 main storage pool with 4 x WD Red Plus running in Raidz2.
1 Appdata pool with 2 WD Blue SSD's for apps, VM's, Backups, etc, running in Mirror.

I created a shared folder from the main pool and mapped that as network drive on my windows machine.
Now a question regarding Datasets.
I have 1 dataset called Media created,
In my mapped shared network drive I will need different folders to hold my different media (Movie, Music, Photo, etc),
how do I set that up then, do I need to make a dataset for each of these media folders...??
and in general, every time a new folder is created in the shared network folder do I then need to create a new dataset for these..??

Plex and Emby will be the apps which needs access to these folders.

Maybe you guys have other suggestions on how to do that.

Updated situation :

I have added an additional folder into my shared network folder called "Plex Movies" in this folder there is 2 movies.
Plex is installed and I can access the plex web interface from Truenas Scale.
But It seems when I try to create a movie library through the plex web, it cant see this new folder "Plex Movies", it sees the "Media" folder,
which is the shared network folder, but this is then empty.

Like my question above,
if I then try to add a new dataset, under the Media dataset, called "Plex Movies" then I'm told that this folder already exist,
which means that the folder is there, but not visible. I guess this is something with the settings in Truenas, or maybe permissions settings.??

I hope you guys could help me a little out here.

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
First you need to set up mount points in the jail - so the jail can see the files. Then
Plex (I assume in a Jail) runs as a user. Log into the jail shell
Go to to /etc and cat passwd to find the user ID

Set up a new user on TN using the same userID and give that user permissions to the datasets

bacardi8

Explorer
Hi NugentS,

Im trying to use the plex app from Truecharts, and I cant get that to function.
Do you have other ideas or other way to do it step by step...??

NugentS

MVP
I don't have a working Scale. However if I recall correctly, all Truecharts containers use an apps user which makes things a bit easier.

When setting up the container you need to select some sort of eternal storage and point that at the video files