Newbie Raid-Z3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiac82

Cadet
I don't know if this is just being implemented or.. I couldn't find it in the nightly builds. Is there a way to do a raid-z3 in freenas or it is going to be implemented in 8.1?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I believe it will be implemented in 8.1 but we will have to wait and see.

ProtoSD

MVP
Yes, I think we have to wait until 8.2, but it's strange because if you look at one of the screens on the GUI for volumes, it says something about them being z3 even though mine are z2...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yes, I think we have to wait until 8.1, but it's strange because if you look at one of the screens on the GUI for volumes, it says something about them being z3 even though mine are z2...

RAIDZ3 is a ZFSv27 thing.

The folks over at iXsystems have a product offering called TrueNAS that's based on FreeNAS 8, but also appears to have the ZFSv27 patches integrated. This allows them to differentiate TrueNAS from FreeNAS, for example, see

http://www.ixsystems.com/truenas

Because the patches for ZFSv27 are publicly available for FreeBSD 8, it isn't clear what their strategy will be going forward from here. They could keep FreeNAS at v15 in order to feature-differentiate FreeNAS and TrueNAS, but that might only result in a forked copy of FreeNAS that integrates v27. They could integrate v27 into FreeNAS when FreeBSD 8.3 (or whatever release contains v27) comes out, at which point their differentiation is less significant. I wouldn't fault them either way; they've done a fantastic job supporting FreeNAS from what I can tell.

pcourtney

Cadet
last I heard it is going to be after the Final 8.2 version in May 2012, then they are planning on
refreshing the base to FreeBSD 8.3 which will get the long awaited ZFS v28, along with Raid-Z3,
some driver updates and fixes to FreeBSD, all good stuff :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.