Newbie questions - how to cross server mirroring

departy

Dabbler
Hello. First of all, I am newbie with TrueNas(coming from synology) and since english is not my first language and new to OpenSource/DYU NAS in general i would like to ask few questions for guidance.

I have bought two Dell PowerEdge R720 servers. They each have VMWare ESXi installed and TrueNAS is running as a VM with 6 cores and 20GB RAM(I am experimenting and etc, so these params are not final, just for test purposes).

For the sake of my questions, each server have 2 x 6 TB drive storage (12TB per server).

Server 1:
A drive
B drive

Server 2:
C drive
D drive

They will be put into separate locations and each will be behind pfSense and site-to-site VPN tunnel.

My goal is to mirror:
A -> C
D -> B

I know it's probably not the best, but that's the case I really need at the moment.

My question here is:

How in TrueNAS I can connect Server 1 and 2 so they can see each other's disks. What software to use (Syncthing most probably will be used). I have two servers pinging each other, I just don't know how to make them see each other's disk and mirror each other. I need some guidance to what literature to read, terminology and how things are done usually in TrueNAS universe.

Sorry for my poor explanation, I need to do more reading, because I miss some of the terminology to express myself better.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

departy

Dabbler
I see, i think thats all I needed <3 . Thank you so much Samuel!

Is there reeding with best practices on mirroring? I am still thinking if I i should buy few smaller hard drivers (total of 12 GB) or just 2 x6 GB? I need some sort of redundancy and later on backup.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
For ESXi, you should have larger disks (so ZFS has an easier time finding free space), and wider mirrors (for better throughput).