Newbie Question please help

Bungiex88

Dabbler
I already have my server running without problem. I bought a 1tb m.2 for Truenas to be installed on not realizing I couldn’t use the m.2 for anything else. My gaming rig only has a 256gb m.2. I’d like to swap the m.2 so I want to put the 256 m.2 for truenas and install the 1tb into my gaming pc. Is there anything I need to watch out for can I just swap them and install truenas onto the 256gb m.2 without worrying about loosing any of my data stored on my 2 4tb hdd I have all my movies, home videos and music on. Should I unplug my 2 hdd that are in my server untill I get truenas set up on the 256gb m.2. I’m a green horn when it comes to truenas and don’t want to f anything up. Is it just like reinstalling windows on a hard drive with other stuff on additional hard drives. I’m worried that truenas will try and automatically format my 2 hdd I have in the system when I reinstall truenas on the m.2 drive

1. Backup config (include export secret seed)
- There might be an additional option if you encrypted your data pool
2. Reinstall TrueNAS on new SSD
3. Restore config
4. Reboot
5. Done

Bungiex88

Dabbler
Ok so i
1. Backup config (include export secret seed)
- There might be an additional option if you encrypted your data pool
2. Reinstall TrueNAS on new SSD
3. Restore config
4. Reboot
5. Done
can I backup the config on a thumb drive then?

System, General, Save Config

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 11.35.11 AM.png

You’re welcome. We were all on the same boat once.

Bungiex88

Dabbler
You’re welcome. We were all on the same boat once.
Ok so got true nas installed on the new m.2 server up and running when I go to upload my saved config it says version installed is newer then the config but both is version 12 I’m stuck. Can I just create new pools with my 2 6tb hdd I have already installed with loosing any info or am I missing something with the uploading config I saved

Evertb1

Guru
says version installed is newer then the config
I can't recall ever getting that message. Maybe that's because the last time I did a reinstall and upload of a saved config was when I still was on FreeNAS or it's just to long ago to remember. Anyway, the saved config will always be older then the new config after reinstalling. Upload the saved config and you are OK. Just do it before you change anything else on your system and go from there.