SOLVED newbie need help how to remote truenas behind IP Private

wili4m

Explorer
hello,

newbie need help, my isp using ip private so if i check at myip.com is different at my router, coz this issue my nextcloud client can't connect to my server if outside my house.
already use duckdns /no-ip still can't reach my truenas server.
myip.com show 118.xx.xx.xx, my router show my isp ip 10.xx.xx.xx, my trunas server 192.xxx.xxx.xxx

the only way i can backup my file is using syncthing, i don't how they doit, but it work when outside my home.

any idea or guide i can follow to remote/access my truenas server from outside my home?

thanks.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
@danb35's thread on creating a nextcloud jail with a script includes a reverse proxy and the appropriate SSL certificate requests to make that work.

the only way i can backup my file is using syncthing, i don't how they doit, but it work when outside my home.
It's very likely that the synthing server on your NAS is connecting to a cloud service, which is also where your device is connecting. The cloud service then puts the two ends together to allow backups to work without the need for the client to find the server directly.

danb35

Hall of Famer
creating a nextcloud jail with a script includes a reverse proxy
My script does not include a reverse proxy. It can be used with a reverse proxy, and there's discussion in the thread on how to do that, but it doesn't include one. But I don't see that helping OP when he isn't being given a public IP to begin with.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Maybe I'm confusing it with one that did include caddy at some point... was that yours?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Mine includes Caddy, but uses it as the web server. You could, of course, modify the Caddyfile to cause it to also act as a reverse proxy, but in order for this to be beneficial to the OP, the jail would have to be reachable by the outside world anyway--in which case a reverse proxy doesn't bring much benefit.

Edit: This may be a situation where Cloudflare's Argo Tunnel would help. See, e.g.:

Last edited:

wili4m

Explorer
It's very likely that the synthing server on your NAS is connecting to a cloud service, which is also where your device is connecting. The cloud service then puts the two ends together to allow backups to work without the need for the client to find the server directly.
is it possible nextcloud do same thing like that? at least it can solve my issue.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
After you set up duckdns /no-ip did you set up a port forward on your router to your Nextcloud jail IP? If so and that still doesn't work you're likely stuck in a double NAT situation that can only be resolved by your ISP.

danb35

Hall of Famer
you're likely stuck in a double NAT situation
Given that OP's router is showing a WAN IP of 10.x.x.x, I'd say this is nearly certain to be the case. But I think there are other technologies that can resolve, or at least work around, the issue--some kind of tunnel or VPN would do.

wili4m

Explorer
After you set up duckdns /no-ip did you set up a port forward on your router to your Nextcloud jail IP? If so and that still doesn't work you're likely stuck in a double NAT situation that can only be resolved by your ISP.
not that easy, my isp don't give me public ip, i think they share 1 public ip to many client.
i already use ddns, dynu, dnsexit all bind to pubilc ip 118.xxx.xxx, my router get ip from my isp 10.xx.xx

duckdns/dynu, dnsexit all show 118.xxx.xxx
my router show 10.xxx.xxx from isp
port fowarding already set 80 & 443 foward to my truenas ip 192.168.xx.xx
my truenas set 192.168.xx.xx

atm only syncthing can do backup my device form outside my home, without do extra job.
2 issue i need to solve
1. connect nextcloud client from outside my home
2. remote my truenas from ouside my home

no2 is not important i think i can use vpn or peer to peer coz only me connect to my server.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Given that OP's router is showing a WAN IP of 10.x.x.x, I'd say this is nearly certain to be the case
Not necessarily. My WAN IP is private address space but I have access to the outside world. It took me getting a static public IP to do it though and my ISP setting up the access.

not that easy, my isp don't give me public ip, i think they share 1 public ip to many client.
Then you are for sure stuck behind double NAT. I can't offer you any help for that.

wili4m

Explorer
Then you are for sure stuck behind double NAT. I can't offer you any help for that.
noted thanks for you time

maybe i will upgrade my isp package or move to other isp that provide public ip.
and hope nextcloud can do upgarde like syncthing to cover double NAT issue like me.

wili4m

Explorer
Not necessarily. My WAN IP is private address space but I have access to the outside world. It took me getting a static public IP to do it though and my ISP setting up the access.

Just update my case, now i can remote my trunas with zerotier ip from outside my home