newbee questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjdw

Cadet
I run freenas 8 on a HP-Compaq 7100 with 2 X 1gb ram.
The proc is: Intel Pentium 4 530 Processor (3.0-GHz, 1 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)
Saw that you need at least 4g? But is seems to work?
To be honest i don't know if I used the i386 or amd64.

Is it save to run it with 2gb and do i need i386 or amd64.

If i need to reinstall can i preserve the data on my harddisks (2X2tb UFS).

On a previous setup i tried to mount both drives together and mirror them.
But I had serious problems, so is started all over again with lots of difficulties.

Does the UFS mirror option in harddisk setup work OK?

Thanks very much for the help.

pjdw

Cadet
I found the specs of my pentium 4: 32 bit instrucion set. So know amd64 for me.

ProtoSD

MVP
If you're only using UFS and not ZFS, 2GB should be ok. Please read the FAQ(s) in my signature below, you can preserve your data if you switch hardware.

pjdw

Cadet
FAQ helped a lot with my questions.
I am still a bit puzzeld on my ram.

From the faq i understood that in i386/32bit max memory is 786m? Is my 50 euro investment in 2g useless?

I have not figured out how to get my 2 disks (2X2tb which have seperaties mounts now) in a ufs mirror. Export the one with data. Import it in a new volume and add the second en mirror them?

I tried to google and surf the forum for a way to limit size to a specific share.
I have one share for my media and would like to max it to say 1t. Create another share for timemachine and max it to 500g. Then i have a spare of another 500g.

ProtoSD

MVP
pjdw, no, your 2G of RAM isn't a waste. I probably need to rephrase that answer. The 768M is the limit you can set that variable to without recompiling the kernel. If your existing volumes are HFS/HFS+, then yes, you'll need a spare to create a volume, copy your stuff to, reformat the original disk ufs and repeat for the second disk. In the end you'll end up with a spare, which isn't bad. If one of the other disks starts to fail you have somewhere to move stuff to in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.