New Unofficial FreeNAS Android App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palantus

Cadet
Hi

I'm not sure if this is the right place to mention this, but here goes...

I've developed a simple Android app which uses the API of FreeNAS 9.3:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ahkpro.dk.nasmanager

Yes, I decided to charge about $1 for it. Please don't kill me... :)

As I have written on the play store listing, I'm going to open source it later this year and list it for free. Right now I just want to save a few bucks for my upcoming (first) FreeNAS build by making something useful :)

Features:
- View basic server info (IP, version etc.)
- View volumes and their storage space status
- View datasets and their storage space status
- View jails and their status (running, IP, autostart)
- Start/stop jail
- Reboot, shutdown and wake (WoL) server
- HTTPS support - including for selfsigned and/or invalid certificates (checkbox in settings)
- Button for opening Web GUI in browser

Planned features (not yet implemented):
- View shares and (maybe) allow opening them in external app
- View disks and their SMART status
- Open jail IP address in browser
- More status info for jails, storage, mounts etc.
- Widget
- FreeNAS 10 support

I hope you like it so far :) I only tested it on FreeNAS 9.3, but if the API is the same on older versions, it should work fine on those. Please tell me if it doesn't and I'll fix it ASAP :)

Note:
Unfortunately you need to log in using the root user. It is a limitation of the API.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
We'll see if the forum moderators allow you to advertise your own for-profit app store app...I'm guessing they won't.

Palantus

Cadet
We'll see if the forum moderators allow you to advertise your own for-profit app store app...I'm guessing they won't.

I feared that you would see it this way :( Any others? Then I'll remove it!

I did contact iXsystems about this before posting and they did not see any problem.

flyinfitz1

Explorer
Id love to see an app for this.

D

dlavigne

I don't see a problem. Though I'll have to take a closer look if anyone complains about it.

Mlovelace

Guru
I don't see a problem, though I'm not a moderator. I don't like having to use the root account too bad it's built into the API that way.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Certainly, if you asked ixSystems about it, and they were fine with it, then we're fine with it.

This is, after all, their forum.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
From what I understand, the user interfaces (not to be confused with the local shell, which is being hidden away from ignorant fools overenthusiastic CLI users), GUI and "CLI" (meaning "Place where you issue commands like you would with the GUI, only with text instead of shiny"), will just use the FreeNAS 10 API to talk to the middleware.

So, this kind of application becomes a first-class citizen, instead of being a somewhat kludgey set of interactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.