New to FreeNAS. Need help urgently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig SA

Cadet
I am a new user of FreeNAS. I want to setup a File Server for a small business(Maximum of 20 users). Need help setting up the system. These are my specs:

Build FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b)
Platform Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory 3946MB going up to 8Gb in the next two days
2 X 1TB SSDs in RAID 1

What I want to do is setup a Windows share. I would like each user to have their own folder which only they can access with a password . Please assist me in this regard.
Also I have no clue how to set the active directory. Do I need to use that?

Last edited:

Artion

Patron
I am a new user of FreeNAS. I want to setup a File Server for a small business(Maximum of 20 users). Need help setting up the system. These are my specs:

2 X 1TB SSDs in RAID 1

What I want to do is setup a Windows share. I would like each user to have their own folder which only they can access with a password . Please assist me in this regard.
Also I have no clue how to set the active directory. Do I need to use that?

This can help ;)

m0nkey_

MVP
2 X 1TB SSDs in RAID 1
Good to know you're going up to 8GB. 8GB RAM is the absolute minimum for FreeNAS. Also just to correct your terminology, there is no RAID 1 in FreeNAS. It's called a mirrored VDEV.

Also, when using the word RAID, it usually indicates the use of hardware RAID. Please confirm how your pool is configured.

As for permissions, I have a video which you may find useful: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas-and-samba-smb-permissions-video.8/

jlentz3

Dabbler
Does the i7 processor support ECC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

Craig SA

Cadet
Good to know you're going up to 8GB. 8GB RAM is the absolute minimum for FreeNAS. Also just to correct your terminology, there is no RAID 1 in FreeNAS. It's called a mirrored VDEV.

Also, when using the word RAID, it usually indicates the use of hardware RAID. Please confirm how your pool is configured.

As for permissions, I have a video which you may find useful: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas-and-samba-smb-permissions-video.8/

this is what it is like

I have a single dataset named Shared for now. I want it to hold all the information but in this folder each user must have thier own subfolder which only they can see and have full control over. The admin should also have access to everything.

example of the setup:

Shared contains:
Some files commonly needed to all in the company (eg. company letters etc.)
Folder1: (User 1 is the owner and has full access)
Folder2: (User 2 is the owner and has full access)
and so forth

Attachments

• free.png
    free.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 366

Artion

Patron
Shared contains:
Some files commonly needed to all in the company (eg. company letters etc.)
Folder1: (User 1 is the owner and has full access)
Folder2: (User 2 is the owner and has full access)
and so forth
Are you using a domain controller in your network?

Craig SA

Cadet
Are you using a domain controller in your network?

nope. I am trying a new approach now. Using FTP and File Zilla to get the data. So I have created datasets for each user. But now with this approach can I still have an admin account to be able to view what is going on in all the folders. Do you think this is a good idea

Attachments

• free2.png
    free2.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 355

Artion

Patron
As for smb share: you can assign each user a home dir when you create them in FN, with exactly same username and password as in their Windows pc, so when they navigate to \\FN-IP with explorer they see their own share. If you want also a share they all can see just share a dataset that is owned by a group each user is part of.

upload_2017-10-23_15-8-21.png

As for the ftp approach: set the ftp settings so that permits local user login and you can also set that each user is redirected to its own home share by ticking 'Always chroot'

upload_2017-10-23_15-12-30.png

Servman

Dabbler
Hi @Craig SA,

If you are doing individual folders per user you can setup the Home share with in FreeNAS and map that folder to there PC and then each user will have full permission to that folder and then just allow the admin access to that folder?

it is up to you if you want to do it that way or stay with the current setup your wanted to do.

its easy to set up.
  • create a User folder in your storage
  • create the user and the home dir be the users folder
  • go to Sharing Windows (SMB)
  • create the windows share
  • tick the Use as home share: (see screenshot)
  • it will also create a home share
once this is done every time that user logs into the share it will create a separate share for that user an so.

hope this helps.

Attachments

• freenas.PNG
    freenas.PNG
    34.1 KB · Views: 364
Last edited by a moderator:

Craig SA

Cadet
Thanks guys for the help. I have setup the share although the one problem I am having is that Windows Xp has a problem adding permissions to folders in the share. I didn't have this problem with Windows 8 and 10. Not sure what the problem is.

styno

Patron
Thanks guys for the help. I have setup the share although the one problem I am having is that Windows Xp has a problem adding permissions to folders in the share. I didn't have this problem with Windows 8 and 10. Not sure what the problem is.
For XP clients, you need to tell Samba to downgrade to SMB1 & NTLMv1, more info here: http://doc.freenas.org/11/services.html#smb

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Although really, you should try very hard to replace Windows XP clients. Enabling NTLMv1 is bad for security.

Status
Not open for further replies.