Another Active Directory / SMB issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem seems similar to this post, but not quite as complex?

I have a new freenas box with 11.0-U4. I have it joined to my domain and I can see domain users and groups. I created a new dataset with owner as domain\admin and group as domain\freenasgroup and set permission type to windows.

I then created a SMB share, and just applied default permissions. The domain admin can navigate to the share directory, can add/modify/delete no problem.

I created a folder in the main share, and in Windows folder properties>advanced, add a security group (FreeNASUser), which includes a few domain users. I want the users in this group to be able to add/modify/delete. Logged into a windows machine as one of the test AD users within the FreeNASUser group, I can navigate to the share, but it seems be read-only.

Curiously, if as the domain admin, I instead add one of these test users to the security settings directly, the permissions work as I want. That's not ideal, as I'd rather just add groups and modify the group membership as needed.

I must be missing something here. Shouldn't a Windows SMB share act similar to a windows file server share once it's setup on the FreeNAS end? I mean as far as a windows computer is concerned

====
Not sure if this means anything, but it seems weird to me

Last edited:

bigphil

Patron
You should configure your share access and permissions for the SMB share through the computer management console (compmgmt.msc). Open it and then connect to your FreeNAS box with it and configure share and NTFS permissions there.

You should configure your share access and permissions for the SMB share through the computer management console (compmgmt.msc). Open it and then connect to your FreeNAS box with it and configure share and NTFS permissions there.

That didn't seem to make any difference. I guess it's basically working, but it's more a problem using AD security groups to administer permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.