New to FreeNAS, but have an issue with every 3 second disk access (like a heartbeat!).

triclonedave

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm very new to TrueNAS and thought I'd start with TrueNAS Scale as I didn't want to be peering over the new releases shoulders in terms of features!

I have a HP Microserver Gen 8 with 4 x 1TB WD drives passed directly through to TrueNAS (no hardware RAID).

I've setup a pool with 2 of the 4 drives and played about with that configuration, then destroyed the pool and created a pool with all 4 drives.

As soon as I assign a pool for the Applications, I get a heartbeat like disk access every 3 seconds or so! This is before I've even installed any Applications. I've left the machine overnight in case there was some "preparation" going on, but it was still pulsing with disk activity in the morning.

I looked at the forums and read about moving the system dataset, which I did to the boot SSD, but this makes no difference.

"Unsetting" the Application Pool fixes the issue, but then of course, I can't install any Applications!

Is there some fine tuning for this Application pool (ix-applications) that I'm missing?

Thanks

sretalla