Can moving virtual machines and applications to a solid-state pool reduce hard drive noise or extend hard drive life?

I used multiple WUH721816ALE6L4 blocks to form my first pool. My applications and virtual machines are also in this pool now. I record live videos for my friends in a virtual machine and watch them with jellyfin in the application. My hard drive always makes the sound of frying beans, and I know this is the cause of these mechanical hard drives. My virtual machine never shuts down. If I buy a solid-state drive to create a new pool and move all the virtual machines and applications to this pool, the videos will still be stored in the first pool. So will my mechanical hard drives reduce the sound or extend their life?

My M2 slot is already full, so I can only use a sata solid state drive for the new pool. For data security, should I back up the data in this pool to a pool composed of mechanical hard drives every day?

My truenas version is TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4.2, and the system uses 32G of memory.

MrGuvernment

Patron
your drives will make the sound any time they are accessed, some drives are just louder than others, normally, you dont have a NAS close enough to you that you can hear the drives.

I remember some old WD spinng rust drives I had, man, you could hear them!(but they were only 120GB in size, that long ago)

An SSD will make no noise and will be faster in general, so it would take load off the mechanical drive, but as for lengevity, not likely something you would ever notice.

A proper backup is the 3-2-1 rule, moving data to another place on the same physical system, is not really a backup, that just give you redundancy.

Thank you for your reply. My truenas system is installed on two solid states. I then use a solid-state pool2 to store VMs and applications, and pool1 is only used to store videos. So when videos are not being recorded, are my pool1 hard drives not working? Will this way reduce their noise?

Thanks for the link on backup knowledge. The solid state drive in my PC started having problems after a year of use. So I think for my recording and broadcasting system, it is enough to ensure that my virtual machines and applications can be restored when there is a problem with the solid state drive. I would like to know if it is feasible to back up the virtual machines and applications of pool2 to pool1 every day? Or is there any other easy way?

MrGuvernment

Patron
Thank you for your reply. My truenas system is installed on two solid states. I then use a solid-state pool2 to store VMs and applications, and pool1 is only used to store videos. So when videos are not being recorded, are my pool1 hard drives not working? Will this way reduce their noise?

Thanks for the link on backup knowledge. The solid state drive in my PC started having problems after a year of use. So I think for my recording and broadcasting system, it is enough to ensure that my virtual machines and applications can be restored when there is a problem with the solid state drive. I would like to know if it is feasible to back up the virtual machines and applications of pool2 to pool1 every day? Or is there any other easy way?

The drives would still be powered on, but since they wont be reading / writing, they would make far less noise. You may get random usage from TrueNAS doing things to check drives and such, but otherwise, extensive noise would only really be heard if you are accessing data on the drives.