Trying to add a new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitek

Dabbler
Howdy everyone,
I'm trying to add a new drive to my FreeNAS, and in ZFS Volume Manager, I select Volume 1 as the volume to extend, click the plus next to the new drive. Stripe is already selected and the size slider is already set to the size of the new drive, but when I click "Extend Volume", I get the following message:
"You are trying to add a virtual device consisting of 1 device(s) in a pool that has a virtual device consisted of 2 device(s)"
What am I doing wrong? When I originally built this machine, I had 2 drives, but I don't recall setting them up as a single virtual device, or even where/how to do that. How do I add this additional drive to my existing volume?

Thanks,
Keith

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Jesus, it's a damn lucky thing we put that warning message in there, isn't it. That was a brainstorm either Cyberock and/or I had, I believe, last year.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Howdy everyone,
I'm trying to add a new drive to my FreeNAS, and in ZFS Volume Manager, I select Volume 1 as the volume to extend, click the plus next to the new drive. Stripe is already selected and the size slider is already set to the size of the new drive, but when I click "Extend Volume", I get the following message:
"You are trying to add a virtual device consisting of 1 device(s) in a pool that has a virtual device consisted of 2 device(s)"
What am I doing wrong? When I originally built this machine, I had 2 drives, but I don't recall setting them up as a single virtual device, or even where/how to do that. How do I add this additional drive to my existing volume?

Thanks,
Keith
Keith:

The short version: Once you have created a vdev (which would appear to be some two-disk thing you set up), that's it. The vdev cannot have additional drives added to it (with one exception, that doesn't increase the capacity, so I don't think that's what you are after). The only thing you'd be allowed to do would be to *REPLACE* your two drives, with larger capacity replacement.

The only way to *EXTEND* your pool is to *ADD A NEW VDEV*, and since you have only one drive, that would mean your pool would become essentially the Cartesian product of a mirror and a single drive, which means, if that single drive failed, THE WHOLE POOL IS DEAD. That is why there is a warning message, because simply put, you don't want to do that.

Everything I'm saying is explained in the presentation that my colleague linked you to. I think you probably should have read that BEFORE you made a FreeNAS, but, better late than never, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.