SOLVED Error trying to add new drive to striped array

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaypetermen

Dabbler
Received following error while trying to add the third new hard drive to existing 2 drive stripes array.

You are trying to add a virtual device consisting of 1 device(s) in a pool that has a virtual device consisted of 2 device(s)

I did not receive this error when I added the second drive to the existing striped drive, so I am not sure that is going on?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
It's because your current pool isn't two striped vdevs of one drive but it's one vdev of two drives mirrored.

jaypetermen

Dabbler
That's odd. When I installed the second drive and extended the first one/volume, I selected Striped from the dropdown. How is it now one vdev of two drives mirrored.

I basically want one 9TB striped volume. Can I get there from here (hopefully with out having to format my current "full" drives)?

Bidule0hm

My bad, you have one vdev of two drives striped, I didn't know it was possible to stripe drives inside a vdev.

Are you sure it's really an error and not just a warning? because the GUI will warn you if you try to add a single disk to an existing pool (and it's pretty much what you're doing here) but you should be able to add it anyway if you use the advanced/manual mode.

jaypetermen

Dabbler
I believe that it's an error and not a warning since it will not extend the volume no matter how may time I click the 'Add volume' button and I get the error each time.

I currently do feel that I know enough about the manual process to risk using it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
My bad, you have one vdev of two drives striped, I didn't know it was possible to stripe drives inside a vdev.

It isn't, that's just the WebGUI showing the pool layout in a more abstract, noob-friendly way.

Bidule0hm

Ah... so now the GUI shows wrong pool layouts, well, who had this idea? :confused:

jaypetermen

Dabbler
Looks like I am in the same situation again when trying to add a forth new hard drive to an existing 3 drive stripes array.

You are trying to add a virtual device consisting of 1 device(s) in a pool that has a virtual device consisted of 2 device(s)

This time I tried the manual way and it did not add the new drive?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You really need to read Cyberjocks ZFS guide before you go any further to get a better understanding of what is and is not capable with vdevs and pools.

Status
Not open for further replies.