New to BSD - help with boot volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphadog00

Cadet
So my FreeNas devices has been humming along for a while. 2 times in the last 2 weeks i have received this alert:
The boot volume state is UNAVAIL: One or more devices are faulted in response to IO failures.
A reboot fixes things, and I see no errors anywhere - but not sure where to look.

So, I guess i need to replace my boot drive.

I will probably just use a USB stick - should be as fast as desktop HDD - any reason not to? I see it is also possible to mirror boot devices in FreeNAS.

I saw the 3 steps "if something goes wrong" - and I had some questions:

1. Perform a fresh installation on a new boot device.
  2. Import your volumes in Storage ‣ Auto Import Volume.
  3. Restore the configuration in System ‣ General ‣ Upload Config.

Questions:

If i install from CD will freenas see my USB sticks as storage/boot devices? I assume I only have to set USB in the boot order bios, anything else?

2 and 3 look painless as long as I do a save config.

I am running Plex and Jails - should there be any issues?

Thanks for any help/advice

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If you install from CD, yes, FreeNAS will see your USB sticks as storage devices, if they're supported (most are). Check the boot order in the BIOS.

There shouldn't be any issues with jails as long as you've given it the same config to run off of.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I will probably just use a USB stick - should be as fast as desktop HDD - any reason not to?
No, there's no reason not to, and it's in fact the way that FreeNAS is designed to be run--that, or from a small SSD, or from a SATA DOM. And really, of the steps you list, #2 isn't necessary--restoring the config will pick up the volumes.

alphadog00

Cadet
Great - thanks for the replies. Really love the software. Got a Seagate BlackArmor NAS years ago (luckily it was free) has always been a PITA - If i could hack freenas onto it i would as it has worked great for everything i have thrown at it. My next step is to beef up my hardware and probably add another pair of drives to increase storage.
Hopefully a couple of mirrored usb sticks will make the boot volume indestructible.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Unlikely to have the 8GB minimum RAM FreeNAS requires, unfortunately.

alphadog00

Cadet
Thanks for the advice everyone. I replaced the hdd with mirrored usb sticks.... all is well. One other question. I have 2 250gb mirrored drives as my storage. I have a dataset, jail, content and plex. If I want to swap out the 250GB for 1TB is there a tutorial that has any advice? Trying to avoid recreating everything if possible as it took a little work to get it all working as I wanted.

alphadog00

Cadet
Replace the disks one at a time following the manual's instructions. The pool will expand once you've replaced the second disk.

Thanks,

I had no idea it would be that easy. Liking FreeNAS more all the time. Always did like it, but now even more. :)

alphadog00

Cadet
just looked.... RTFM as I tell others and didn't bother to look myself. Sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.