Boot Volume State is UNAVAIL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Hardware for the FreeNAS is in the signature.

Recently got an email from my server stating the the boot volume state is unavailable: One or more devices are faulted in response to IO failures. This seems like the boot drive(s) have gone out but it's odd that it's doing this. I have a mirrored USB boot drive set up. Both drives were scrubbed a day ago and passed with no issues, and I can't believe that both drives would go out at the same time.

I lost access to the Web GUI, which seems to be common with this type of failure, but otherwise the system is running normally. I'm at work, so I can't try to SSH in, but I'm thinking I can since I can view the KVM when checking IPMI.

The last back up of the boot record is when I upgraded to 11, so about a month old, but no config changes have happened with in that month, so I'm not sweating it too much. But my question is; when replacing the boot drives, what would I do to replace them? I've read the back up for the boot is stored on the pool, but I don't know how I would grab that when rebooting the machine.

Any advice would be great!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I've read the back up for the boot is stored on the pool, but I don't know how I would grab that when rebooting the machine.
You'd have to go fish it out. There's a feature request to allow for restoring from the backups in the .system dataset, but it's still pending release.

But my question is; when replacing the boot drives, what would I do to replace them?
An SSD, ideally.

Well...the system rebooted itself before I got home. Do not know how or why but it fixed itself. Everything booted fine and is working just as before.

I'm think it was due to the lighting storm going on. Ran a scrub just to be safe anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evertb1

Guru
Well...the system rebooted itself before I got home. Do not know how or why but it fixed itself. Everything booted fine and is working just as before.

I'm think it was due to the lighting storm going on. Ran a scrub just to be safe anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have had troubles with USB sticks as long as I was using them as Freenas boot device. Most of the time with a reboot. I had an event similar to yours. The last time was during update to 11.x. At that point I had enough and installed Freenas on a small SSD. Never had a problem since. The strange thing is that every USB that was "corrupted" was actually OK after cleaning them up. I still use them for general purposes without any issue. My conclusion is that if you have a free Sata connector you are better off with a small SSD. The prices is reasonable these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.