Drive error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egood71

Cadet
Hello everyone!

First time poster, long time techie. Started using FreeNAS a few months ago and love it! But I have just received an error stating:

'The boot volume state is UNAVAIL: One or more devices are faulted in response to IO failures.'

Does this mean that my boot drive is failing? Just starting receiving this after the latest stable update. Any and all help is appreciated! Oh btw this is a home built computer using an ssd for the boot drive 3 1TB drives and 2 2TB drives.

Thanks!

Egood71

Cadet
It is an AMD built computer. I don't have the full specs I would have to open the computer up and find out what motherboard is there, but with 16 gigs of ram.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
If I just caught the scent of non-ECC RAM I'm not going to be a happy badger.

It may well mean that your drive is failing. I'd say "power down and reseat the SATA and power cables going to your boot drive" but if it's on its last legs it may not boot back up again.

Egood71

Cadet
Yes, sorry. I know that I should be using ECC RAM for a server but this was a computer that I had laying around doing nothing. Thought that I could put it to some good use.

Thanks, I have already rebooted and it came back up but then went down approx 10 - 15 minutes later. I will check the cables and see if it comes back up again.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Yes, sorry. I know that I should be using ECC RAM for a server but this was a computer that I had laying around doing nothing. Thought that I could put it to some good use.

If you have any data on there you care dearly about, I'd take this unexplained event as the proverbial canary in the coalmine and start making plans for an ECC system in the future. Others may be, shall we say, "less than polite" if your FreeNAS box decides to eat your data and it's not running ECC.

Status
Not open for further replies.