New Simple FreeNAS Server Dell R310

Status
Not open for further replies.

dashpuppy

Dabbler
After a few months of collecting parts and waiting, I finally have my FreeNAS box up & running. I created a little video of what im using and what's inside.

Dell R310 1u Rack server ( they are quiet so i picked it )
8gigs ram, will move to 16 or more if needed.
4 x 2tb WD red drives.
Idrac ent ( must have on all servers )
HP Mellanox ConnectX 10Gb PCI-e G2

Enjoy the video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKJJYmPKQD0

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
First of all, the video just appears to be a show and tell of your 1U opened up. "Here's the memory". "Here's the CD-ROM". ?? Not sure why you made a video of this.

Second of all, let me ask a dumb question. Your description in the video says you're running FreeNAS 9.1. Why in God's name would you be running several dozen versions behind?

Also, there has been considerable discussion here about the best way to do 10 GbE, and what brands are known to be good with FreeBSD/FreeNAS. I don't recall Malenax ever being even mentioned. In fact, the forum search (which admittedly is dodgy) only hits on your post for "Malenax". But this is not something I'm knowledgable about, so I'm wondering how you came to choose this NIC when it would not appear to be even mentioned in the usual places on the forum.

dashpuppy

Dabbler
First of all, the video just appears to be a show and tell of your 1U opened up. "Here's the memory". "Here's the CD-ROM". ?? Not sure why you made a video of this.

Second of all, let me ask a dumb question. Your description in the video says you're running FreeNAS 9.1. Why in God's name would you be running several dozen versions behind?

Also, there has been considerable discussion here about the best way to do 10 GbE, and what brands are known to be good with FreeBSD/FreeNAS. I don't recall Malenax ever being even mentioned. In fact, the forum search (which admittedly is dodgy) only hits on your post for "Malenax". But this is not something I'm knowledgable about, so I'm wondering how you came to choose this NIC when it would not appear to be even mentioned in the usual places on the forum.

It's the start of my FreeNas build using a R310 server//

The current "STABLE" version of FreeNas is "
Download the current stable release of FreeNAS (9.10) "

The card i'm using is a : HP 10GB CONNECTX2 PCI ETHERNET CARD HIGH PROFILE They are cheap.. And i have everything working 100% perfectly..

I'm doing direct connection to each host from one box. the R310 has a ( soon ) dual port card and each host R610's have a single port..

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I'll try this one more time.

Go to your youtube video. Look at what you wrote about what software you're running.

Also, I am very confused. What the hell is a "Malenax" then.

dashpuppy

Dabbler
I'll try this one more time.

Go to your youtube video. Look at what you wrote about what software you're running.

Also, I am very confused. What the hell is a "Malenax" then.

HP Mellanox ConnectX 10Gb PCI-e G2 Dual Port HCA 518001-001 516937-B21

Status
Not open for further replies.