New setup, and already disk errors?

McFuddy

Dabbler
Oh sooooo many questions but as I got a few alerts (below) I figured that should probably be my first question.
First a bit of background. I just installed Truenas scale, threw in misc drives I have had laying around (so one of them being bad isnt a surprise i guess). I have zero data on the drives at the moment. In fact, this system is a "tinker box" until I get a bit more comfortable with TNS so I am not worried about loosing data, yet.
It looks like one of the errors, for /dev/sdi, indicates the drive is foobar'd but I wanted to make sure? The "pending" part is not clear to me, pending what? Is there something I can/should run to scan the drives?
Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 19-26-19 Advanced - 192.168.1.124.png

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yes, you apparently are using older drives which have already recorded errors on them.

Pending means that the data had some errors reading that sector but eventually overcame it. If this happens too many time then the sector will be locked out. It's a precursor to a failure.

You can also Google S.M.A.R.T hard drive and find a lot of information on it.

Depending on your drives, I'd run Badblocks.

McFuddy

Dabbler
Thanks for the quick response!
Yes, you apparently are using older drives which have already recorded errors on them.

Pending means that the data had some errors reading that sector but eventually overcame it. If this happens too many time then the sector will be locked out. It's a precursor to a failure.
So failure of those three drives is pretty much inevitable in the near future? A pity but, again, not a surprise - one of the reasons I wanted to go a largish (10 bays) route was so I could use some of the older (smaller) drives I have.

You can also Google S.M.A.R.T hard drive and find a lot of information on it.
google it, a bit of an understatement on the "a lot of information on it" :grin:
Depending on your drives, I'd run Badblocks.
Just started it, am not familiar with badblocks but did a quick read, -w seemed more thorough? (ie write/nuke whats there while checking) but will see i guess.

joeschmuck

Old Man
So failure of those three drives is pretty much inevitable in the near future?
No one has a crystal ball but this is an indicator of failure coming. It could happen today or 3 months, or even 6 months from now. If you had a NAS with critical data on it then this would be an indicator to replace the drive now, before it completely fails.

Search Google (our your favorite web search engine) for something like "truenas badblocks" or "truenas hard drive burnin" and it will bring up some topics to read. but yes, it will write four different test patterns and verify them. If you have a large hard drive, it will take some time. Really large drives can take days to test. And if you have 16TB or larger drives, there is a different testing tool to use besides badblocks.

McFuddy

Dabbler
No one has a crystal ball but this is an indicator of failure coming. It could happen today or 3 months, or even 6 months from now. If you had a NAS with critical data on it then this would be an indicator to replace the drive now, before it completely fails.
Good to know. No important data yet, might keep one of the drives on there while tinkering just to learn on so to speak.
Search Google (our your favorite web search engine) for something like "truenas badblocks" or "truenas hard drive burnin" and it will bring up some topics to read. but yes, it will write four different test patterns and verify them. If you have a large hard drive, it will take some time. Really large drives can take days to test. And if you have 16TB or larger drives, there is a different testing tool to use besides badblocks.
Yeah, seems to be taking awhile but thats fine, am not in a hurry (though really wish I could afford some 16tb, would totally be worth waiting on LOL!)

Thanks again