New NAS with C3000 Series CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Does anyone know a good supermicro reseller in germany who actually sells to private persons?

Somewhat unsure with Jacob Elektronik. They do sell to private persons but it took rather long (about 7 weeks) to get a A1SAi-2750F replacement board from them (due to the AVR54 Bug). Other than that I can't say anything bad about them.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sona.de was okay, but don't buy RAM from them. It's packaged very poorly.

PrincePaul

Patron
Thanks - I wrote jacob an email when or if the get the Supermicro with C3758 in stock.
Sona has it marked as arrives on the 11.01. .... I shoot them an email as well.

Alternate is selling Supermicro Boards too, but not with C3758 CPU.

Update:
Sona = 4-5 weeks leadtime for any A2... Mainboard

Last edited:

PrincePaul

Patron
I got an Update from ASRock Rack:
"Yes, we’ve put the C3758D4U-2TP and the C3758D4I product info onto our website by end of last year.

However, the production schedule for C3758D4I has been postponed to middle of Feb.

We are migrating the board to new version due to we got some feedbacks from some EU data center customers, that’s the reasons why the schedule was postponed…..

As for C3758D4U-2TP, this model is still under developing stage, the available schedule is not confirmed yet."

So thats this :D still waiting for some answers from other Supermicro Dealers.
But at least I know which case I`ll use - Update in the startpost.

Last edited:

Mechkilla

Cadet
@PrincePaul :

https://www.itnew.eu/de/index.html is also selling to private. They have not a wide range of computer parts (e.g. no ram), but a lot of Supermicro stuff. 3 weeks ago I bought a Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN4F-O from them and a week before that a rackmount case. Had no issues and both orders were quite fast delivered (the case came next day, the board was directly send from Supermicro Netherlands in a few days (over new year's eve)). Jacob Electronics is also quite fine.

PrincePaul

Patron
Nice. Yeah I wrote them an email couple days ago. They couldn’t tell me a price and the delivery date should be in 2 weeks. So it should pop up in their shop than.

Jacob should have it in KW5 and is also the cheapest. So I’ll wait till it’s in stock and than the project starts.

PrincePaul

Patron
I forgot one topic completely - USV

Definitely want to use one which is connected via USB and is able to shut down the NAS.

APC is always a brand which comes in mind. For example the APC Back-UPS ES 550VA has a USB connection and enough power to hold up for quite some time + freeNAS shutdown.

But if you`ve a look on the amazon reviews there are a couple people where the units burned down etc.
How is your experience with these models or which could you recommend.

Usually the power outages are less than a minute if any ... or sometimes a couple of minutes if a breaker trips. Like we had the other day because of a faulty heating in our washing machine... So I don`t really need a big power usv. As I´m living in germany I also don`t need something which smooths out the power curve. So these "cheap" offline USVs which are just passing the inlet through to the outlet and switch to BAT if necessary, should be sufficient.

PrincePaul

Patron
I was planning to start with 11.2 from the get go, so fresh install with iocages... seems that this Version is pushed back a bit.
Release in May :(
The full warden to iocage movement is now set back to 11.3...

Last edited:

PrincePaul

Patron
Would it make sense to run a m2 SSD only for the jails? It will be only one as the board only has one slot, which than would be snapshoted to the main pool.

So the main HDD Pool could spin down to safe some energy and maybe last longer?
IDK the current pool is running 24/7 for almost 6 years because of the cloud etc. and "knock on wood" no problems so far... is that the key? never spin down the hdd´s

That may be a stupid question so please bare with me, but as the mounts from the jail to the main pool are only "pointers" it won`t give any disk full message or so as the data is not copied, right? Because if I`m installing a m2 ssd it would be most likely a 240GB version. As an Example my picture library is 5000 GB, but I`m still able to mount them in a jail on such a small ssd, right?

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Make sense to keep your drive spinning all the time, that's when they have the least amount of wear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
[...] so please bare with me [...]

Maybe you will have a hard time to get definite answers to some of your questions because you are trying to squeeze way too many unrelated topics into a single thread. C3000 motherboard availability, C3000 motherboard hardware specifics, UPS questions, FreeNAS release management, wear out of mechanical components, jail management (to name a few).

PrincePaul

Patron
You`re probably right, but they all will be part of my build discussions.
I guess there will be even more of theses questions as soon as I started building this thing :D

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Please start new questions in new threads, one per question. Throwing wide-ranging questions into a single bucket might be convenient, but makes the forums far less useful for people searching for information. Including you.

Status
Not open for further replies.